Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rename Desktops?

Is it possible to change the name of desktops instead of them being Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc. ??

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 4:07 PM

There's a menubar app in the Mac App Store (https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1456226992?pt=119982183&ct=qa&mt=8) that lets you assign names to specific Spaces. It also lets you give each Space a unique icon in the menubar, so as you swipe between Spaces you can just glance up and know which one you're in. It also lets you jump directly to specific Spaces directly via its dropdown menu or hotkeys. Because macOS APIs are limited, the names stay in the app and don't show up in Mission Control, but they are just a click away (plus the unique icon is visible).

The app also does a bunch of other stuff related to time tracking, and it's free. I made it, and its homepage is www.currentkey.com.

I hope that helps! - Spencer

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 4:07 PM in response to Marcy Matties

There's a menubar app in the Mac App Store (https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1456226992?pt=119982183&ct=qa&mt=8) that lets you assign names to specific Spaces. It also lets you give each Space a unique icon in the menubar, so as you swipe between Spaces you can just glance up and know which one you're in. It also lets you jump directly to specific Spaces directly via its dropdown menu or hotkeys. Because macOS APIs are limited, the names stay in the app and don't show up in Mission Control, but they are just a click away (plus the unique icon is visible).

The app also does a bunch of other stuff related to time tracking, and it's free. I made it, and its homepage is www.currentkey.com.

I hope that helps! - Spencer

Apr 12, 2020 2:55 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks. I've been googling it and didn't find a way. But most of the results I found were for pre-Catalina, so I was hoping maybe that had been corrected - or someone had come up with a script to allow it. I find that the desktops sometimes do weird things and I never know why. I drag windows into certain desktops and then sometime later they show up on a different one. I'm sure it's something I'm doing, but I never know what! lol

Rename Desktops?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.