Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I export/print an Email or a Document as an Image to Photos

Hi,

I want to use Photos as my document scanning repository. If I scan the documents as an image that is not a problem. The difficulty I am facing is when I get email confirmations, PDF attachments and other documents that I want to add to Photos; it does not accept them because they are not images.

Is there a short and slick way of, say, exporting an email body/document body as an image to Photos?

The closest I could find is to: Export as PDF, Open in Preview, Export as image(s), Import to Photos... too clunky.

If I can print a document to PDF or EPS, can I not Print it as an image?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 11:24 AM

Photos is not a good choice to manage files other than images. There are better digital asset management apps that can handle both images and various types of documents.

An good candidate for what you want to do is NeoFinder. It can use your current folder organization to maintain your documents, pdfs, images, etc. It have a free demo version you can try to see if it will suit your needs.

If you still want to use Photos you can create an Automator workflow app to convert PDF files into images for each page, sequently numbered. You can adjust the quality of the image within Automator.

Save it as an app and just drag PDFs onto it to create jpeg files for each page.

If you import the folder with the image files into it you can use the "Keep Folder Organization" feature to create an album with the image files in it and with the same name as the folder.

Using Photos will require converting every document to an image which can be a lot of work. NeoFinder only requires you to organize your documents of any kind in folders on your hard drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Ismaeliano

Photos is not a good choice to manage files other than images. There are better digital asset management apps that can handle both images and various types of documents.

An good candidate for what you want to do is NeoFinder. It can use your current folder organization to maintain your documents, pdfs, images, etc. It have a free demo version you can try to see if it will suit your needs.

If you still want to use Photos you can create an Automator workflow app to convert PDF files into images for each page, sequently numbered. You can adjust the quality of the image within Automator.

Save it as an app and just drag PDFs onto it to create jpeg files for each page.

If you import the folder with the image files into it you can use the "Keep Folder Organization" feature to create an album with the image files in it and with the same name as the folder.

Using Photos will require converting every document to an image which can be a lot of work. NeoFinder only requires you to organize your documents of any kind in folders on your hard drive.

Apr 13, 2020 12:25 AM in response to Ismaeliano

While this doesn't answer your question, you may consider three reasons Photos isn't ideal for this purpose:

• PDF documents usually take up considerably less space on disk than images
  • PDF documents can comprise more than one page, while images have no concept of pages
  • PDF documents are usually searchable because the text is stored as characters rather than pixels in an image

How can I export/print an Email or a Document as an Image to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.