Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repairing a 15" macbook pro with butterfly keyboard with the new 16" scissor switch keyboard

Hi there,

I was wondering if repair shops would be able to change my current butterfly keyboard on my 15" late 2016 macbook pro with the new keyboard that's on the 16" macbook pro. And if so, what would be needed to get that done?

My keyboard is without joke falling apart. Letters are falling out. And that while I've already had it replaced once. But I don't want to keep replacing it with a keyboard that is a failure in itself, I don't call that repairing at all, I call that putting a band-aid on it.

Anyone knows if repairing with the new keyboard is a possibility?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 9:21 AM

The keyboard replacement here also involves replacing the rest of the hardware around the keyboard, including the rest of the hardware of the laptop. Or paying somebody to build a bespoke laptop keyboard for you. Which will cost a whole lot more than a replacement laptop.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 13, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Martijnvdc

Martijnvdc wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if repair shops would be able to change my current butterfly keyboard on my 15" late 2016 macbook pro with the new keyboard that's on the 16" macbook pro. And if so, what would be needed to get that done?

My keyboard is without joke falling apart. Letters are falling out. And that while I've already had it replaced once. But I don't want to keep replacing it with a keyboard that is a failure in itself, I don't call that repairing at all, I call that putting a band-aid on it.

Anyone knows if repairing with the new keyboard is a possibility?

Thanks!

Not going to happen. The OEM keyboard replaces the defect keyboard.

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

You can trade in your old Mac if you want to step up to the MBP16,1

Apple Trade In - Apple

Stock items ship next-day express,

BTO come directly from China and you can expect some delays

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Repairing a 15" macbook pro with butterfly keyboard with the new 16" scissor switch keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.