Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to re-attach a keytop on butterfly keyboard?

I have a replacement butterfly keyboard on my 2016 15" Mac Book pro, and at least one key will not longer lock the keytop in place, and it keeps sliding around off the keyboard and coming off on my finger. I was told by a credible repair shop that individual butterfly keys cannot be replaced. Is there any way that I might put the tiniest drop of a mild adhesive on the center plug on the underside of the loose keytop? If so, what would people recommend?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 11:51 AM

I want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will now report the outcome. My thinking was that all the warnings about possibly breaking a butterfly or the like were more or less pointless if, as was the case, the only likely solutions were to pay to have the top end all replaced for serious money, or to junk an otherwise perfectly fine computer.

So, since I have some experience in being attentive and careful with tiny things, and since I came equipped with the insights you have all shared with me about what COULD go wrong, I took a leap and purchased an entire set of replacement key caps for my model ($19 through Amazon, lord help us all). To my relief and surprise they turned out to be the correct ones. With them I first put back home the good test key (upperleft I never use ```~~~) I cannibalized to type on the E, then fit the tiny black disk over the central switch and successfully snapped down the new E key pad. It works a treat. Replaced the worn-out A (you could see through it) and a dodgy T. There IS some extra light on the E because the masking black was hosed, but I can live with that.

The basic failure was that the little corner clips on the original (ie the Apple 'Replacement' keyboard) had sheared away.

For removing the old caps I found the safest thing a stiffish card just a tiny bit thinner than a conventional credit card, and was very, very careful to lever things from the proper location at the top.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 11:51 AM in response to HWTech

I want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will now report the outcome. My thinking was that all the warnings about possibly breaking a butterfly or the like were more or less pointless if, as was the case, the only likely solutions were to pay to have the top end all replaced for serious money, or to junk an otherwise perfectly fine computer.

So, since I have some experience in being attentive and careful with tiny things, and since I came equipped with the insights you have all shared with me about what COULD go wrong, I took a leap and purchased an entire set of replacement key caps for my model ($19 through Amazon, lord help us all). To my relief and surprise they turned out to be the correct ones. With them I first put back home the good test key (upperleft I never use ```~~~) I cannibalized to type on the E, then fit the tiny black disk over the central switch and successfully snapped down the new E key pad. It works a treat. Replaced the worn-out A (you could see through it) and a dodgy T. There IS some extra light on the E because the masking black was hosed, but I can live with that.

The basic failure was that the little corner clips on the original (ie the Apple 'Replacement' keyboard) had sheared away.

For removing the old caps I found the safest thing a stiffish card just a tiny bit thinner than a conventional credit card, and was very, very careful to lever things from the proper location at the top.

Jan 15, 2022 11:31 AM in response to Owen Daly1

Owen Daly1 wrote:

I have a replacement butterfly keyboard on my 2016 15" Mac Book pro, and at least one key will not longer lock the keytop in place, and it keeps sliding around off the keyboard and coming off on my finger. I was told by a credible repair shop that individual butterfly keys cannot be replaced. Is there any way that I might put the tiniest drop of a mild adhesive on the center plug on the underside of the loose keytop? If so, what would people recommend?

This is not a task for an amateur, take it in for assistance—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Se if you qualify here for a keyboard replacement—

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Jan 16, 2022 8:10 PM in response to Owen Daly1

The free Apple keyboard repair program does not apply to loose keys so you would be unable to get another free replacement for the damaged "E" key cap. Apple will replace the keyboard for free up to two times if the laptop is less than four years old, but the keyboard issue must meet some very strict guidelines to qualify for a free replacement.

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

It is very easy to damage both the key cap and the butterfly mechanism when attempting to remove a good key cap so I would not advise it. The plastic of the key cap is extremely thin and easily cracked in addition to damaging the clips on the key cap and worse actually damaging the butterfly mechanism with the latter requiring the replacement of the entire Keyboard (actually the Top Case/Keyboard Assembly which is very expensive).

The black plastic you noticed is meant to provide a filter for the keyboard's backlight LED. Without that black plastic piece that particular key will be extremely bright when the keyboard backlight is activated.

Keep in mind that besides the manufacturing defect and design flaws of the butterfly keyboards, the main cause of failure is dirt, crumbs, and other foreign material getting stuck beneath the key cap and jamming up the movement of the butterfly mechanism so don't leave the broken black plastic behind or it will jam the butterfly mechanism.

Jan 15, 2022 4:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

The keyboard was replaced a couple of years ago in the keyboard replacement program, and during a call to an authorized Apple reseller/repair store nearby their service representative told me that the individual broken keys like mine cannot be replaced. This would have been the geniusbar to which I would have brought my computer to have them tell me in person what they told me on the phone. My mis-behaving E-key just rests there loosely, often walking across the keyboard or sticking to my finger, but when it is floating in place it DOES work, so I thought that just a tiny drop of adhesive of some sort, very, very carefully applied, in the center where the post and dimple SHOULD snap together but don't would be a possible makeshift. Otherwise the computer is as good as new and it would be crazy just to get rid of it over this minor problem.

Jan 15, 2022 8:03 PM in response to Owen Daly1

Usually when a key cap comes loose on a butterfly keyboard the key cap will become damaged and many times part of the butterfly mechanism also becomes damaged. If the butterfly mechanism is damaged, then there is nothing to do except to have the Top Case/Keyboard Assembly replaced.

If just the key cap is damaged, then it is possible to have the key cap replaced. In theory Apple does provide a key cap kit to AASPs, but it includes a key cap for every key so having an AASP replace a single key cap may be expensive. An Apple Store may not offer a single key cap replacement, but an AASP might assuming the butterfly mechanism is not damaged.

It may also be possible to find replacement key caps online, but Apple has many different versions of the lettering including a slight difference in the black color of the key cap itself which can stand out when placed between keys with a different black. Plus if you don't put the key cap on properly, you will damage it. It is very easy to damage the key cap so don't expect the seller to replace a broken key cap.

You cannot fix a broken key cap using glue since the butterfly mechanism and key cap move and pivot together. If you attempt to use glue, then you will damage the keyboard for sure if the butterfly mechanism is not already damaged.

Jan 16, 2022 1:43 PM in response to HWTech

Many thanks for this really helpful reply. From what I can tell, the key cap is damaged, but the butterfly mechanism seems to be just fine. In fact (my key in question is the "E" and I am typing right now with the cap remove and although it is a little tricky to get my fingertip to focus on the central boss in the butterfly, when I do it works just fine. Normally the cap just floats there, and does work, but it's not attached and will float across the keyboard or stick to my finger. When I just now put the cap aside, I found a very small black disk sitting in the boss of the butterfly, so I'm guessing that is broken off from the cap and was the part of the cap intended to secure the cap to the butterfly. I'm saving that on the chance that I could put the cap itself back together using glue, but NOT gluing the cap to the butterfly. And then trying to buy a replacement cap.

Apple replaced the original keyboard several years ago, so I can't possibly ask them to replace this one.

So one question if you don't mind. Is it possible to remove and replace a 'healthy' keycap safely, so I can see what the butterfly and an undamaged cap look like?

There was a company from which I ordered a couple of replacement caps, but they never got around to filling the order and I had to cancel.

Jan 16, 2022 2:50 PM in response to Owen Daly1

An update. The clips for attaching the E cap have failed, and for now I have cannibalized the never-used upper-left key (``), but that one is now exposed. The main concern I have is that the black plastic shielding that looks as though it is intended to control the brightness of the backlighting is shredded away and gone. The tiny black disk flipped and disappeared, but I accidentally found it. It is not attached, but just wedged in there for now, but I think as long as the keycap is secure, it's not going anywhere. Indirectly all of your advice has helped me to do the kludge fix and I may just order some replacement caps. Cheapest is to get the whole set from Amazon I think.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Owen Daly1

Thanks for the follow up. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I just want to note that not all of the key caps are released from the top on your keyboard, plus keyboards made for different regions may have their keys removed differently. A user should definitely research how a particular key cap is removed for their specific keyboard (i.e. the region & type of the keyboard -- the region associated with the keyboard may not be the same as the region the user is in) before making the attempt.

Jan 18, 2022 12:47 PM in response to HWTech

Yes, indeed, and thanks. Those were issues I was already doing as much searching-about as possible. I think one thing that helped was the fact that the E pad was completely failed, so that I could examine the underlying butterfly and look for the clips and all of that without nosing about where I could get myself into trouble! I'm grateful that you have reminded me that not all keys even on my machine, come free from the top. I'm assuming that would be things like the space bar or other non-standard-size bits. I would definitely not risk meddling with those before searching for images. I could imagine that the tiny arrow keys could be an issue. My confidence that I would buy the correct set of replacement pads was not very high either. The vendor used the A1707 model descriptor, but the About This Mac system info does not, but uses simply the 13,3 descriptor. I had to search pretty deeply into Apple stuff before I found a chart linking these two otherwise dissimilar descriptors. I dodged a bullet on that one! I don't know whether these replacements are OEM, by the way, but I'll have to say that they look as though they might have been, and certainly snapped nicely into place. The only little lurking worry is that tiny black disk, which is just kind of friction-lying in the hole of the butterfly. With it gone (I actually lost it on the table once) the pads won't engage the central switch. Again, thanks for your patience and taking the time to help me. You kept me from doing anything stupid or destructive and saved me a significant outlay.

How to re-attach a keytop on butterfly keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.