Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMPArtworkAgent using 90% CPU

Anyone else seeing this? Yes, I have let it run over very long periods of time to make sure it has completely got my library first. Despite that, every time I use Music OSX, the AMPArtworkAgent end up eating my CPU alive (90+% CPU usage, fans running high speed).

In general, it seems like the OSX version of Music is the unwanted stepchild of Music. Google search for any answers and all you get is iOS advice. I use Music while I'm working on my Macs, and would like this application to be a whole lot more robust and less buggy...... I'm a paying subscriber, and almost ready to go back to Spotify, which has it's own set of issues, but a **** of a lot more developed than Music seems to be!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 8:06 AM

Similar questions

27 replies

Sep 10, 2020 2:44 PM in response to lew_b

Yes, I'm seeing this problem also.

My fan started whirring, and a few other apps slowed down, which I didn't expect on this new iMac with lots of RAM and CPU, so I checked Activity Monitor and it shows both AMPArtworkAgent and AMPLibraryAgent at 100% CPU or higher. Quitting these processes and then starting the Music app worked as expected (with ~2% CPU usage with just normal Music window, not MiniPlayer).

My Configuration

• macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
  • 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
  • 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

My Steps to Reproduce (your mileage may vary)

1. Have the Music app running for several days in MiniPlayer view
  2. Play Radio station off and on, but likely paused for at least 8 hours, then attempted to resume playing radio station again

Expected Behavior

I should be able to close the Music app, and the processes should not take 100% of my CPU(s)

Actual Behavior

• The Music app would no longer respond, the fan started whirring, and some apps were noticeably less responsive
  • After Force closing the Music app, with Activity Monitor, AMPArtworkAgent, AMPDeviceDiscoverAgent, and AMPLibraryAgent were still running
  • AMPArtworkAgent was using 102.4% CPU
  • AMPLibraryAgent was using 100% CPU

Jul 7, 2020 5:16 PM in response to lew_b

I had this issue too. The important part of that statement is "had". I tried everything, as all of the other reporters of the issue have done. And nothing helped in the long term.

For YEARS i've had Apple Music MiniPlayer in the corner of my screen with no problems, so i never considered it to be the culprit, but for whatever reason, once i opened Apple Music in its normal window (no MiniPlayer), the AMPArtworkAgent, AMPLibraryAgent, etc high CPU usage went away. That was several weeks ago. Never came back.

Now, i am starting to experiment with running Apple Music in the MiniPlayer again, to see what happens. If the issue returns, then i will be right back to using the full window. But maybe it will stay calm and not come back. That would be great because i really like having the MiniPlayer available on all of my desktops.

Apr 18, 2020 9:28 AM in response to Teddy_B

Yes, I've done all those common things. It has seemed to get a bit better lately, so maybe it was just adding artwork for my library for the first time (although I can't imagine why it would take so long..... days total, and I've been using Music since February). But it and AMPLibraryAgent seem to eat up CPU and spin up the fans very often (annoyingly so).... which just seems unnecessary once it has done the library once. Please let the powers that be know that the OS X version of Music needs some attention; not everyone is always accessing from iOS devices.

And PLEASE bring back the ability to add/subtract songs from user-generated radio stations... I know you can like/dislike, but that doesn't accomplish the same thing...

Apr 15, 2020 6:56 AM in response to lew_b

Greetings, lew_b.

I see that there's a service using most of CPU on your MacBook Air. Good job in isolating the issue to AMPArtworkAgent, and I'm glad to help with this.

How to update the software on your Mac -- Make sure your Mac is up to date. If an update is available, please be sure that you have a recent backup of your Mac to keep your information safe: Back up your Mac with Time Machine -- Once the update has completed, see if the Music application is working as expected.

If your Mac was already updated or the issue persists, see if the Music application is downloading album artwork for your music collection. If it is, give it some time for it to complete. If it isn't, Quit apps on Mac quit the Music app, if it's open, then restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off. Once it's back to the Desktop, see how the Music app is responding.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care.

Jul 10, 2020 10:54 AM in response to hk51pdx

Ha, wow, that fixed it for me too. Just running fullscreen or in a normal window instead of the MiniPlayer brought my load average while streaming Apple Music down from ~15 to <2. Not sure why the MiniPlayer is broken, but that's unfortunate because it's a really nice feature. Music has been significantly more buggy than iTunes ever was, at least in my experience. Maybe it'll be better in macOS 11?

Jul 12, 2020 8:17 AM in response to hk51pdx

I'm the original poster. It seems to have settled down, only occasionally returning for me. Miniplayer versus full main window makes no difference for me (Catalina latest). But it still returns somewhat randomly, and I usually know it because the fans rev up to max all of a sudden; not because I'm doing something else compute intensive, it's only Apple Music...

I'm really disappointed with the App in general (iOS, MacOS)..... it just seems really half-baked in general!

Jul 14, 2020 1:33 PM in response to hk51pdx

The same thing just happened to me with Catalina (ugh).

I was running iTunes Music in MiniPlayer mode. I noticed the artwork for some songs weren't coming up (along with the up next list of songs).

I pushed pause to answer the door and when I came back AMPArttworkAgent had the fan running fun blast and ate up 100% of the CPU.

Force quit the process and it all seems fine again.

Aug 18, 2020 3:17 PM in response to technabob

You can use the mini-player without high CPU use (in my experience), but the artwork needs to be hidden (so shrink the mini-player vertically until the artwork disappears). Otherwise, yes, the full window doesn’t seem to exhibit the issue either. It’s kind of a shame since the mini-player’s artwork view is typically the best way to see the album art.

Aug 22, 2020 3:43 PM in response to lew_b

I just did a restore of my library and I'm seeing the same high CPU usage by AMPArtworkAgent. But when I open the Activity window (under the Window menu), it appears that album artwork is indeed being updated (it reports which songs it's currently working on). I have nearly 24,000 songs and it's only been running for about 4 hours at this point. But I have my Energy Saver settings set to "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and I expect it will finish eventually. Will follow up in a few days either way.

Aug 25, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Doug Hassman

Nope, i saw the post. I'm asking you to report back on the long(ish)-term results of the library rebuild. My experience has been that the symptoms can come back after a period of time so i stopped trusting anything that happens or doesn't happen in the short term. ;-)

As i mentioned, i gave it a try as well and will see what happens. Hopefully we both experience minimal CPU usage going forward while using the MiniPlayer.

AMPArtworkAgent using 90% CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.