Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard repair program?

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro that has sticky, repeating and nonfunctional keys. Only today did I discover that there is a Keyboard Service Program to repair the issue. Unfortunately, my local authorized repair center is overwhelmed and cannot perform this service in less than 10 days. Of course, like everyone, I'm working from home on my MacBook. I'm told there is a four-year window to get this service for free.

Does anyone know whether Apple suspending any deadline for taking in a qualifying MacBook for this service in light of the coronavirus pandemic?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:46 AM

AKC322 wrote:

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro that has sticky, repeating and nonfunctional keys. Only today did I discover that there is a Keyboard Service Program to repair the issue. Unfortunately, my local authorized repair center is overwhelmed and cannot perform this service in less than 10 days. Of course, like everyone, I'm working from home on my MacBook. I'm told there is a four-year window to get this service for free.

Does anyone know whether Apple suspending any deadline for taking in a qualifying MacBook for this service in light of the coronavirus pandemic?

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

You can ship it in for repairs—

I would Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 11:46 AM in response to AKC322

AKC322 wrote:

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

You can ship it in for repairs—

I would Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Apr 14, 2020 12:42 PM in response to AKC322

AKC322 wrote:

I do not know when I purchased this MacBook Pro.

The question is whether, in light of these circumstances, Apple is extending the keyboard repair program to account for these circumstances.

Look at your https://support.apple.com/my-support

for details of purchase date if you do not have adequate records:

Here is what I see:

Over-night express shipping and return I think you would be under your 6-12 day window

Non-the-less—

I can not speak for Apple, however if you call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753) you can talk to Customer Support concerning any known extension due to the circumstances.

Apr 14, 2020 11:52 AM in response to AKC322

Apple and it's authorized repair centers are still performing repairs. Your Mac just has to be sent in. They are not extending the repair program because they haven't stopped repairing computers. There's just no Genius Bar to directly take it into. The repair program covers Macs that who's original purchase date was within the past 4 years to be exact.

Apr 14, 2020 12:12 PM in response to DPJ

I'm sorry. I was unclear. I have read the program rules. I do not know when I purchased this MacBook Pro. Therefore I do not know when the four-year period runs. I cannot take it to the shop now because I would have to leave it with them for 10-12 days, which I cannot do because I need it to work from home during the coronavirus pandemic. The question is whether, in light of these circumstances, Apple is extending the keyboard repair program to account for these circumstances.

Apr 14, 2020 12:58 PM in response to AKC322

" The question is whether, in light of these circumstances, Apple is extending the keyboard repair program to account for these circumstances. "

Get in contact with Apple support. They will tell you if you they will cover your repair or not. As to your question, unless Apple had to stop repairs altogether due to COVID19 then that would be a reason for them to extend coverage on repair programs but they have not stopped doing repairs so I don't see them extending coverage just because of COVID19. It's definitely your choice but since you have a 2016 MBP and it's now 2020 you may be right on the cusp of your coverage ending and you choosing not to send it in because of the 10-12 day repair time (which is very reasonable since other companies like Dell quote 3-4 weeks) might end up pushing you out of the repair program window. Definitely contact Apple Support.

Keyboard repair program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.