Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro keyboard broke for a 2nd time

My Macbook Pro keyboard broke for a 2nd time, Apple fixed it for free the first time, now they want to charge me to fix it a 2nd time. If the damage is along the lines of the "Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro", then Apple shouldn't charge me a second time GBP 470 ($630)... I am really disappointed. Has anyone have this issue more than once?

Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:46 PM

If you have a defective butterfly keyboard found on USB-C Apple laptops from 2016-2018, then Apple will replace it for free up to two times as long as the laptop is less than four years old. However, the keyboard failure must meet the requirements set forth in the secret Apple service documentation only available to authorized service technicians. If the laptop or the failure don't meet all the requirements for the free keyboard replacement program, then you will need to pay for the repair.

You can politely ask the service technician why your laptop doesn't qualify this time.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 7:46 PM in response to fromprivacy

If you have a defective butterfly keyboard found on USB-C Apple laptops from 2016-2018, then Apple will replace it for free up to two times as long as the laptop is less than four years old. However, the keyboard failure must meet the requirements set forth in the secret Apple service documentation only available to authorized service technicians. If the laptop or the failure don't meet all the requirements for the free keyboard replacement program, then you will need to pay for the repair.

You can politely ask the service technician why your laptop doesn't qualify this time.

Dec 18, 2020 8:14 AM in response to fromprivacy

fromprivacy wrote:

My Macbook Pro keyboard broke for a 2nd time, Apple fixed it for free the first time, now they want to charge me to fix it a 2nd time. If the damage is along the lines of the "Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro", then Apple shouldn't charge me a second time GBP 470 ($630)... I am really disappointed. Has anyone have this issue more than once?

Thanks in advance. Best regards.

You do not say what exact Mac this is...

Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Macbook Pro keyboard broke for a 2nd time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.