Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple don't want to replace faulty butterfly keyboard

After I was getting problems with the keyboard (letters repeat unexpectedly and letters do not appear on the key pressed) I left my MBP 2018 Touchbar for keyboard replacement at the authorized apple service. They took the laptop and told me they already know about that problem and they will change the keyboard under an extended service program without problems I'll also get a new battery as they are changing the top case. Few days after I'm getting an email from the technician that he can't find any problems with the keyboard but the battery failed on the test and he can replace the whole top case if I pay for the battery. Just to mention I was getting notification service recommended but the laptop worked just fine. This seems like blackmail from the technician because people claim that apple covers battery replacement along with the keyboard replacement as they are changing the top case completely under the program. The things like this shouldn't happen especially since the keyboard is faulty by design and apple should replace it without questioning anything instead, they are claiming that keyboard works fine for them! Is there any contact I can get to address this unpleasant situation with a local apple reseller?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 9:46 AM

Apple NEVER fixes ONLY narrow complaints. EVERY defect MUST be repaired.

Apple service only way of doing business is to fix EVERYTHING detected as a problem in your computer. Their mission is to 'make it right'.

This is the same policy that would be enforced if you presented a MacBook Pro with a shattered display and a bad keyboard.. You would be required to fix the display to get ANY other service, and EVERY defect MUST be repaired.

If you battery is sub-par, you are disqualified from the keyboard recall program, unless/until you can bring the battery back to 'showroom condition' -- which is more than 80 percent useful life remaining when fully charged and no internal errors.

It is unfortunate that the battery-top-plate-keyboard-trackpad is in exactly the same repair part, but that is down to Bad Luck, and nothing more.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 9:46 AM in response to leroydouglas

Apple NEVER fixes ONLY narrow complaints. EVERY defect MUST be repaired.

Apple service only way of doing business is to fix EVERYTHING detected as a problem in your computer. Their mission is to 'make it right'.

This is the same policy that would be enforced if you presented a MacBook Pro with a shattered display and a bad keyboard.. You would be required to fix the display to get ANY other service, and EVERY defect MUST be repaired.

If you battery is sub-par, you are disqualified from the keyboard recall program, unless/until you can bring the battery back to 'showroom condition' -- which is more than 80 percent useful life remaining when fully charged and no internal errors.

It is unfortunate that the battery-top-plate-keyboard-trackpad is in exactly the same repair part, but that is down to Bad Luck, and nothing more.

Sep 27, 2022 8:16 AM in response to mate3

mate3 wrote:

After I was getting problems with the keyboard (letters repeat unexpectedly and letters do not appear on the key pressed) I left my MBP 2018 Touchbar for keyboard replacement at the authorized apple service. They took the laptop and told me they already know about that problem and they will change the keyboard under an extended service program without problems I'll also get a new battery as they are changing the top case.

Few days after I'm getting an email from the technician that he can't find any problems with the keyboard but the battery failed on the test and he can replace the whole top case if I pay for the battery. Just to mention I was getting notification service recommended but the laptop worked just fine.

This seems like blackmail from the technician because people claim that apple covers battery replacement along with the keyboard replacement as they are changing the top case completely under the program.

The things like this shouldn't happen especially since the keyboard is faulty by design and apple should replace it without questioning anything instead, they are claiming that keyboard works fine for them! Is there any contact I can get to address this unpleasant situation with a local apple reseller?

?

If the battery failed then I would replace it yes.

Yes this includes the entire top case replacement.

Keyboards are not repaired they are replaced.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

you can submit your submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

if you think you are being "blackmailed" I would contact the police

Sep 27, 2022 8:44 AM in response to mate3

mate3 wrote:

The thing is that I didn't want to change the battery at all.

All I wanted to replace is the faulty keyboard under warranty which includes a top case change (including battery). They are claiming that the keyboard is fine (even I had problems with it) but they will replace the top case and keyboard for free if I accept paying offer for battery replacement. Isint this wrong or I don't getting logic behind this?

Under warranty MBP 2018.. ?

If you have AppleCare Plus battery replacement including your entire top case, see ref:

Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

If you have AppleCare+

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html 

Apple/AASP can only go by what their backbench test show

all  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

You are not going to make any progress here on a user to user support community

—You can Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

—or on line  Apple Support

Sep 27, 2022 2:07 PM in response to mate3

The free Keyboard Repair Program does not necessarily always have to replace a part. One of the first steps an Apple tech will do is attempt to clean the keyboard using compressed air since some key issues are due to dirt & crumbs interfering with the butterfly mechanism (it does not take much to gum of the butterfly mechanism).

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Here are the public details regarding the free Apple Keyboard Repair program (make note of the section which mentions Apple may only replace a key if appropriate):

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Second an Apple tech will attempt to replace the key caps on the keys which are having issues.

If the key still does not work correctly, then and only then will Apple replace the Keyboard for free under the free Keyboard repair program as long as the laptop is less than four years old (read the fine print for some exceptions).

I can tell you from personal experience from supporting thousands of our organization's Macs, that many times the key issues are due to dirt & crumbs. I have actually developed some techniques for isolating a bad key which would qualify for the free repair program since I understand the basics of why the keys fail -- due to a combination of poor design for the key switch and possibly manufacturing issues as well. Basically the key switch is just a plastic bubble that closes a circuit, but this plastic bubble is not sturdy so it weakens quickly which results in either the circuit not being closed or by the key switch not popping back up to break the circuit quickly enough. In my own personal experience supporting thousands of our organization's Macs, it seems like certain keys are more likely to show this issue. Dirt & crumbs can also cause this problem by pressing on the plastic key switch bubble or by causing the butterfly mechanism to stick or jam.

I can certainly understand your frustration though as the Butterfly keyboard is an absolutely terrible design in my opinion feels terrible when typing.

Just be grateful that the tech is actually going to perform a battery replacement since the cost of Battery replacement is much less expensive than having to pay for a Keyboard repair, yet both repairs will result in exactly the same end result of a new Top Case Assembly which includes the Keyboard, Trackpad, Battery and for the Touchbar models it will also include the Touchbar and Speakers. I have seen some users report paying full price for the Top Case Assembly when both a keyboard and the battery issue exists. I have also seen some people report getting the Battery quote and refusing, only to go back later with another tech who quotes them the more expensive repair due to the key issue.

I hope this helps you to understand the complexity of the situation. It really does not help that Apple has combined what used to be smaller individual items into one major component. On much older laptops, the Top Case, keyboard, trackpad, battery, speakers were all individual parts that could be replaced independent of one another. But Apple has combined all these formerly individual parts into one single part partially to help make the laptops slimmer which also greatly increases the cost of repairs.

You can always leave Apple with product feedback (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 27, 2022 8:27 AM in response to leroydouglas

The thing is that I didn't want to change the battery at all. All I wanted to replace is the faulty keyboard under warranty which includes a top case change (including battery). They are claiming that the keyboard is fine (even I had problems with it) but they will replace the top case and keyboard for free if I accept paying offer for battery replacement. Isint this wrong or I don't getting logic behind this?

Apple don't want to replace faulty butterfly keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.