Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brochure printing

How do I make my brochure copy print the right way up?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 7:22 PM

Hi david,

The only way you'll be able to rotate the entire contents of the second page is to place all the objects in a text box, then rotate that box and its contents.

But that shouldn't be necessary.

If your printer will do 2 sided printing, you'll likely find a setting that lets you choose between long-edge and short-edge binding. A better pair of names for them might be Vertical binding and horizontal binding.

One of these is what is used in a wall calendar, whose inside sheets have a month's calendar below the binding, and a photograph on the page above the binding. Because the page is rotated around the binding when the month changes, January's Calendar has its head toward the binding, while the mountain in the February picture, on the 'back side' of that calendar page has its foot toward the binding. With the calendar hanging on the wall, both the picture and the calendar page are 'right side up.'

The other binding choice is used where the pages are turned left to right around a vertical axis, as in your brochure. Here, when you turn the page, what is one the other side should have the same 'top' and 'bottom' as the page you just left.

If you make the right choice between these two settings, your two side printing will be oriented to fold correctly. If not you'll get an orientation that would be fine for a wall calendar, but not too useful as a brochure.

I can't tell you which to use as I don't do it enough to remember how my printer interprets the two settings, let alone how some one else's printer will act. To gat an answer without a great amount of ink, open a new document from the brocure template, replace its text content with a 'page number' in each space that will be a 'page' of the folded brochure, and delete the graphic content. Pick one to the binding settings, and do a single test print using the page numbered document. If it is successful, you've got your setting. If not, change to the second option and print the same document again.

Make a note of the results for future reference.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 7:22 PM in response to davidfrombenalla

Hi david,

The only way you'll be able to rotate the entire contents of the second page is to place all the objects in a text box, then rotate that box and its contents.

But that shouldn't be necessary.

If your printer will do 2 sided printing, you'll likely find a setting that lets you choose between long-edge and short-edge binding. A better pair of names for them might be Vertical binding and horizontal binding.

One of these is what is used in a wall calendar, whose inside sheets have a month's calendar below the binding, and a photograph on the page above the binding. Because the page is rotated around the binding when the month changes, January's Calendar has its head toward the binding, while the mountain in the February picture, on the 'back side' of that calendar page has its foot toward the binding. With the calendar hanging on the wall, both the picture and the calendar page are 'right side up.'

The other binding choice is used where the pages are turned left to right around a vertical axis, as in your brochure. Here, when you turn the page, what is one the other side should have the same 'top' and 'bottom' as the page you just left.

If you make the right choice between these two settings, your two side printing will be oriented to fold correctly. If not you'll get an orientation that would be fine for a wall calendar, but not too useful as a brochure.

I can't tell you which to use as I don't do it enough to remember how my printer interprets the two settings, let alone how some one else's printer will act. To gat an answer without a great amount of ink, open a new document from the brocure template, replace its text content with a 'page number' in each space that will be a 'page' of the folded brochure, and delete the graphic content. Pick one to the binding settings, and do a single test print using the page numbered document. If it is successful, you've got your setting. If not, change to the second option and print the same document again.

Make a note of the results for future reference.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 15, 2020 12:28 AM in response to davidfrombenalla

That depends on how your brochure is put together.

Is it on a single sheet of paper?

In the sheet of paper folded to form a trifold brochure?

Is the paper folded, then trimmed to form a booklet with eight pages, including the front and back covers?

How is the paper folded?

Try folding the paper to make a mock-up of your brochure. Then go through the pages, labelling each with its name or page number, making sure that you have the label 'right side up' on each page as it will appear in the finished document.

Unfold the paper and examine the results. Note the pages on which the text and images will need to be rotated 180 degrees in order to appear upright on the finshed product. Complete the content, keeping it upright in your view, then after doing the editing and proofreading, Group the objects on each page, and rotate those that need to be upside down before printing. Print a single test copy. Fold and staple the booklet, and proofread to ensure that everything is in the right position and orientation before committing to a full print run.

Alternate: there are 'imposing' applications that will do the necessary imposition using a PDF document printed from a one page to a sheet document. Check out the App store for one of these.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 15, 2020 4:34 PM in response to Barry

Thank you Barry, Yes I am creating a trifold brochure using a Pages template. On my screen I have one page below the other. I have got the sequence of pages right, but when I print the inside pages are upside down. I have "selected all" the images and copy on these pages, and have tried to rotate them as suggested, but cannot find the right command.

Brochure printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.