Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina and Final Cut Pro X: I cannot burn disk image to Blu-Ray. I get messsage: The disk image is invalid.

After upgrading to Catalina OS and updating to latest Final Cut Pro X, I cannot burn the disc image I just created to Blu-ray. I get the message: The disk image is invalid. I tried to burn a project that I had successfully burned prior to the upgrades; I get the same message now. Can anyone help?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 12:29 AM

Like you I have occasionally had the message "disk image invalid"

This is what has worked for me.

Mount the disk image by double clicking on it and you will see the mounted disk image on your desktop, it will look like a Hard drive.

Control+ click on this and select Burn Disk Image ("name") .

On another day, I can burn from the same image without issue, it appears to be random.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 12:29 AM in response to JoeySimp

Like you I have occasionally had the message "disk image invalid"

This is what has worked for me.

Mount the disk image by double clicking on it and you will see the mounted disk image on your desktop, it will look like a Hard drive.

Control+ click on this and select Burn Disk Image ("name") .

On another day, I can burn from the same image without issue, it appears to be random.

Apr 15, 2020 3:54 PM in response to Alchroma

Following your instructions, I can now see my blu-ray writer as a choice as an output device. I was hopeful that meant that FCPX would "share" my project to my BR writer. Everything seemed to be going fine. However, after 100% sharing and an audible signal, the disc was blank. None of my FCP projects can be written to the blu-ray writer, even those I successfully burned the day before I upgraded to Catalina. I do appreciate your help. Any other ideas?

Apr 15, 2020 5:01 PM in response to Alchroma

Are you familiar with Final Cut Pro X? Either way, after completing a project, FCP gives a choice of ways to "share" the project. I have only used the "Blu-Ray" or "DVD" choices as those are how I want to keep and/or share the projects. So, I choose "Share," then choose "Blu-Ray," a screen pops up with 2 buttons: Info and Settings. I don't usually do anything on the Info screen unless the project name needs changing. The Settings screen allows me to change the "Output Device" (this is where I was missing anything other than the MacHD until I followed your instructions, now I have the BD-RE drive as a choice); Layers: I alway choose single; nfoon which I can finalize the project name and go to another tab where I can choose the output device, if I want single or dual layer (I only use single), if I want the movie to open on its own or open on a menu, if I want chapter markers to show on the menu, and the menu background. I can also see the total data I am sharing (about 21 GB for 3-hour project). After all of my choices are made, and the blu-ray disc is inserted in the writer, I push to

Apr 15, 2020 5:07 PM in response to JoeySimp

Oops, pushed the wrong button. After everything is set up as I want, I push the "share" button at the bottom of the screen. the program begins doing its magic in creating/rendering/whatever my project. At 66%, FCP usually stalls as that is when the disc comes into play. FCP used to stall there, so Apple gave me the work-around to share the project by creating a disc image on the hard drive. I ended up liking that better because if I liked the final project, I could burn multiple copies from the disk image. Now, after Catalina and Final Cut Pro X upgrade, FCPX won't burn the BR nor can I burn it from the disk image on my desktop.

Does this help?

Apr 15, 2020 8:41 PM in response to Alchroma

I have never used Background, so I don't know what you mean about adding one no larger than my project.

Yes, I know 21 GB is large, but I have done it several times before. It beats using 5-6 regular DVDs.

I will try making a short test w/Background to see how it goes. However, my problem has NOT been making a Disc Image--my desktop/HD is populated with several that need burning. The problem is the message about the disk image not being valid when I try to burn. I will play some more and let you know. Again, thanks for your prompt assistance.

JoeySimp

Apr 17, 2020 8:22 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

That procedure led me to what works, at least so far. I double-click on the icon on my desktop, which opens a box with a file folder called certificate and a Q icon with BDMV title. I then went to file, dropped down to Burn "Title of my project," and the burner worked. I burned a blu-ray and also a regular dvd, as a test. I hope to get through my backlog today. Thank you SO SO much.

Joey

Apr 17, 2020 11:08 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Sort of. After the successful burn, I found that hard drive-type icon you mentioned on my desktop (in additional to my project HD icon created by Final Cut). I was wondering what it was and how it got there. So, yes, I got the icon, but I didn't need to use it to burn, but it got created by the process (I guess).

BTW, I shared this work-around with Apple today. They have thus far been unsuccessful in getting my Disk Image projects to burn discs (even today).

Apr 17, 2020 11:15 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

My blu-ray disc plays perfectly, thus far (1 hour into reviewing a 3-hour project). I am using BR player and my TV to check it out. The disc follows my commands about starting with the menu, has all of the chapter markers, started playing from a chapter later in the project when I asked--all as it was supposed to do. I still have to finish reviewing to make sure it makes it all the way through, but so far, so good. Again, thanks.

Catalina and Final Cut Pro X: I cannot burn disk image to Blu-Ray. I get messsage: The disk image is invalid.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.