Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting <filename> is damaged on almost everything after Catalina upgrade

I just upgraded from Sierra to Catalina and every DMG I download, gives me an error like this:

At first I thought the particular app didn't support Catalina until if happened with a half dozen or so apps I tried to download. 

And, I get this error when opening .PNG files created from taking a screenshot (shift+command+4). More specifically, if I take a screen shot I can open the .PNG once. If I close the PNG and try to open it again, I get the above error.

If I do an xattr -cr on the file in the terminal window, then I can open it, but that's going to be extremely tedious as I use screenshots frequently.

Textedit files do not seem to have this problem.

I tried logging in as a different user and the behavior is the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks much for any help anyone can offer!

MacBook

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 9:03 AM

>In disk utility, show "all devices" in the hard disk utility and then first aid to the container, not the volume.

Following these instructions to reveal the container, then running first aid on the container solved the problem I posted in the OP.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 3, 2020 7:14 AM in response to mlemmert11

UPDATE (for anyone who finds this thread)

-------------

I ran First Aid from disk utility and it seemed to solve the problem, but I got some alarming errors:

Error: unable to perform deferred repair without full space verification

error: try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume

In other posts I see lots of comments about "reinstall MacOS" and "maybe the SSD is "bad"

As to how to specifically do what the error says, "running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume", one post said to do this:

In disk utility, show "all devices" in the hard disk utility and then first aid to the container, not the volume.

I am going to try that this evening.

Getting <filename> is damaged on almost everything after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.