Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Error message when trying to "Change all" in "Get Info" for application to open

I have many text documents on my computer that do not have a .txt extension. In Finder windows, under "Kind," they all show up as "TextEdit.app Document."

Before Catalina, on an older computer, I could Get Info on any one of those, change to my text editor of choice, hit "Change All," and then they all would open from there on out with my text editor.

But now when I try it, I get this error message every time: An error occurred while changing the application that opens "[file name]" because not enough information is available. Do you want to open "[file name]" with "[my chosen text editor]"?

Then I have the options CANCEL, DON'T UPDATE, UPDATE.

This has become an enormous pain. Is there any way to fix or get around this?

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 2:17 AM

Have a look over here or possible solution>> Rename files, folders, and disks on Mac

Similar questions

1 reply

Catalina: Error message when trying to "Change all" in "Get Info" for application to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.