Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID password

A couple days ago I received an email from someone I do not know stating that they had my password and name and would basically blackmail me if I do not pay a sum of money via bitcoin. The email used was at the time my verification email for my Apple ID and the password they showed was a 99% match for it. I reported it to my hotmail account and I have since changed my Apple ID and password. It was my understanding that Apple is very secure and I’m not sure how that could have happened. I then received another email yesterday from another person with similar content. Kindly tell me what are my options in an instance like this.

Regards,

Odillia Gibson

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 12:14 AM

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware, unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious softwares or unauthorised apps directly from internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable informations of your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Phishing

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 12:14 AM in response to odillia

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware, unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious softwares or unauthorised apps directly from internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable informations of your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Phishing

Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.