Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch time changes when away from the phone

Hi,

On occasion I will forget my iphone at home when I go out. I am not going to another time zone, just downtown. After being away for short while, my watch (Series 5 Cellular) time increases by an hour. After I return, it reverts to the correct time. What makes it change that hour? Currently we are on daylight savings time which means the time in general is already 1 hour ahead of standard time, so that cant be an issue. The watch would be two hours ahead of standard time. I am aware that the time on the watch is related to the iphone, but what possesses the watch to change that hour. Is there some sort of base time programmed into the watch? through Iphone? Can the watch support its own time Zone?

It certainly reduces the usefulness of the watch as a watch.

Thanks,

JD

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 10:02 AM

Hi there,

I have the same issue. Iphone X and apple watch 5.

tried rebooting both. I started with the watch first and it was 1 hour ahead. When I started my iPhone, the time on the watch changed to the correct time. Is this a bug with the X phone pairing with the watch?

Thanks!

29 replies

Apr 16, 2020 7:44 PM in response to Jim Dysart

Hi Jim Dysart,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing an issue with the time on your Apple Watch. I'd like to help out.

Let's have you check for updated time zone information on your paired iPhone. Follow these steps: How to get updated time zone information for your Apple device - Apple Support. Then, try restarting both your iPhone Restart your iPhone - Apple Support, and your Apple Watch: How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

If the behavior remains, please make sure your Apple Watch and companion iPhone are running the latest OS versions available, then test for the behavior again please: Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support, and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Best regards.

Apr 28, 2020 5:48 PM in response to Jim Dysart

JD,

Thanks for the update.

Curious, do you have any other cities added to the World Clock, that match to the time zone difference you are noticing on your Apple Watch? Use World Clock on Apple Watch to check the time in other locations - Apple Support. If so, does the behavior continue when you remove those other cities from World Clock?

Let's also have you confirm your Location Services time zone settings on your paired iPhone: If you can’t change the time or time zone on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support. Please navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services, and make sure 'Setting Time Zone' is selected. Next time you are using your watch away from your iPhone, on your watch please navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services, and see if 'Setting Time Zone' is still enabled.

You may even want to consider toggling 'Setting Time Zone' off, then back on, from the paired iPhone, then, restart both devices, and test again.

Keep us posted on these results, please.

Apr 28, 2020 4:44 PM in response to ginette226

I thank each of you for your responses.

To Alex, my watch is alwaws correct when in proximity to the phone, and the time zone is correct in that it is set to the proper time zone (Atlantic) and is showng the correct time ADT. The watch is also correct. However, when the watch is distant fromthe phone, it has increased the time by one hour, as if it went to a time zone further east. If it were defaulting to AST (Atlantic Standard Time) it should be resetting to an hour earlier (ADT - 1 = AST)

This seems to indicate that the watch has an internal setting that takes over when not in proximity with the phone.

To j.andre.daigle - That describes the issue for me. However, after I was back in proximity to the phone, the watch readjusted without having to restart.

And to Ginette, thank you for the reinforcement.

I will be interested to find out what happens when we are back on standard time. Will the watch still gain an hour over the phone, or will it be 2 hours because of AST.?

It is no big deal, but obviously something is not correct..

JD

Apr 28, 2020 7:16 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for your suggestions.

To Javaliga. Yes, it is set at 0

To Sterling. Since I am In the Atlantic time zone (Canada) I don't think there are any cities one time zone to the east of here. The Atlantic Ocean separates us from the GMT zone

However, I do have Melbourne Australia in the World Clock and it is +13 hours. So 5:00 PM here is 6:00 AM the next day in Melbourne. I didn't check the date to see if it was actually reading Melbourne's time (and date)

When I can get it to reproduce the issue, I will check that hypothesis out and report.

Thanks for the interest.

JD

Apr 29, 2020 4:15 AM in response to Jim Dysart

thanks for the suggestions. I also in the Atlantic time zone. My time clock is also set to 0. I did notice that I had 1 other world clock time setting enabled on the watch, disabled it and it was no longer on the phone. because of daylight savings time, this time zone was 2 hours off, which does not mimic the same problem I was having that was 1 hour off. i will see if restarting both the watch and iphone works.

Apr 29, 2020 7:24 AM in response to Jim Dysart

I have this exact problem as well in the Maritimes of Atlantic Canada, AST. Once the phone is not paired with the watch, it jumps an hour ahead when connected to cellular. I have had Apple download the diagnostics from my phone and watch and send to the engineers. They are puzzled. The only next step we can think is if a patch is made or contact the provider to understand why this is going ahead an hour when on cellular. I love to go for a walk with just the watch and leave the phone at home, then noticed it went an hour ahead. It is not a major issue as it fixes the time when it is picked back up with the phone/wifi, but would be nice to find a resolution sometime soon. This has only happened within the last couple months.

May 6, 2020 9:25 AM in response to aferg25

It is also happening to us. We have two iPhones Xs and two Apple Watch series 4 in the Atlantic time zone. Because we both have the same problem, we contacted Apple and Bell.

We followed apple’s troubleshooting steps. The regular reboots and unpair re-pair watches. Did not work. Were told that it was probably a bell issue.

Called bell, they said that everything was normal on their end (time zones and all). They mentioned a hardware issue and to contact Apple. Then we mentioned that it was happening on two identical watches, both on cellular. They admitted that it was strange behaviour. Now they asked us to call Apple and have a diagnostic test done with them and a case ID with Apple. The Bell support want that case ID to investigate on their side.

May 8, 2020 3:41 AM in response to Jim Dysart

Jim, i am having the exact same issue with my apple watch 5 (cellular) and iphone 8 plus. I am also Atlantic time zone and it has been happening since the spring time time change. It’s frustrating as **** to look at your watch and not be sure if it’s the correct time or and hour later!!! Since you are also Atlantic Time Zone i was wondering if you were on Bell? Maybe its a cellular issue?

Anyway Apple Support any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated? I have tried restarting both devices and it hasn’t corrected the issue... i am thinking about completely erasing my watch to factory settings and setting up again but that seems excessive! Please Help!

May 8, 2020 3:54 AM in response to Mathimilou

It sounds like we are all in Atlantic Canada on Atlantic time zone and i suspect all on Bell Mobility cellular service. We’ve paid a lot of money for an Apple Watch and a lot of money to Bell mobility for monthly cell service. I hope they work together to fix this issue as soon as possible. Call

me crazy but it doesn’t seem unrealistic to expect my watch to always show the correct time?

May 8, 2020 4:01 AM in response to markthefishguy

Absolutely! My wife and I are on a pair of stainless steel Apple Watch series 4s. We have been joking lately that they are the most expensive watches ever to be off by an hour here and there. Very frustrating as our work places don’t allow us to have phones on us. So we are walking around at work looking at the wrong time all day.

Contacted Apple, and I have a case number for bell now. Waiting on their call back so they can investigate. Not a good look!

May 8, 2020 9:30 AM in response to markthefishguy

Hello All.,

Thanks for the input. I would like to be able to check the time zone on the watch independently form the iphone but I din't think that is possible. With respect to Daylight Savings time (UTC-3:00), it appears that the watches are moving an hour ahead (UTC-2:00). Atlantic Standard Time is UTC-4:00 (Fall back) so the watches are going to the time zone in Greenland, not AST. The only way to get to that would be if the watch somehow adds an hour separately from the time zone change. That would normally be related to location. So maybe the watch somehow thinks it is still set at AST (which is now the time in the eastern time zone), so adds another hour to move to ADT when not told the correct time by the iPhone.

Forutnately, I am never far from my phone so it seldom happens.

Apple should be able to figure out if it is time zone setting on the watch, or a communication issue with Bell.

Are there any Rogers customers with the issue?

Thanks again for the interest.

JD

Apple watch time changes when away from the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.