Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Final Cut Pro X still copying video files into the "original media" folder when I have the "leave files in place" option selected?

I have the "Leave files in place" option selected under IMPORT preferences.

Yet, when I import video files from the native apple photos app within final cut using the photos browser, it is still copying/duplicating those video files into the "original media" folder inside of the final cut pro x library package file.

Is this supposed to happen or is this a bug?

This is not, according to my understanding of this option, what is supposed to happen. I expected to see an optimized file created in the final cut library package and nothing sitting inside of the ORIGINAL MEDIA folder.

The reason why I want to use this option is to save hard drive space. If the video file is sitting in apple photos, why copy it into the ORIGINAL MEDIA folder when I request it not to?

A bit confused.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:15 AM

FCP will not access images from inside the Photos library bundle for playback. It is not a bug; it’s designed behavior.

Similarly you can’t access clips from one FCP library bundle to another.

Similar questions

2 replies

Why is Final Cut Pro X still copying video files into the "original media" folder when I have the "leave files in place" option selected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.