Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the default name for screen recordings?

Hi,

I recently learned that you can record the screen on your MacBook by using the shortcut Command + Shift + 5.

This has been very useful for me. However, I want to change the default name of my screen recordings.

I believe you need to do this through the Terminal, just like you do for screen shots, but I wasn't sure what the command is.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 8:22 AM

akoijuy421 wrote:

Actually, I tried this already:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture name -string "screenshot"; killall SystemUIServer

and it changed both default names for my screen shots (.png) and screen recordings (mov.), which was not what I had intended.
Originally they were different; "Screen Shot" and "Screen Recording" but now they both start with the same name.
It's not what I was hoping for, but I can deal with it.

I checked my screen recording— and it must of carried over my "defaults" from my last macOS.

And like you both are named screenshot .

I prefer this more simple name, it is easier to track multiple screenshots or .mov because they are now sequential:

screenshot

screenshot 1

screenshot 2

same for movie files.

The long drawn out date and time— all get buried in the abbreviations and you have no idea on the desktop which is which easily.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 8:22 AM in response to akoijuy421

akoijuy421 wrote:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture name -string "screenshot"; killall SystemUIServer

and it changed both default names for my screen shots (.png) and screen recordings (mov.), which was not what I had intended.
Originally they were different; "Screen Shot" and "Screen Recording" but now they both start with the same name.

I checked my screen recording— and it must of carried over my "defaults" from my last macOS.

And like you both are named screenshot .

I prefer this more simple name, it is easier to track multiple screenshots or .mov because they are now sequential:

screenshot

screenshot 1

screenshot 2

same for movie files.

The long drawn out date and time— all get buried in the abbreviations and you have no idea on the desktop which is which easily.

Apr 17, 2020 7:39 AM in response to akoijuy421

Well you used to be able to change the default—it required disabling SIP.. the ASC over seers remove any post that details SIP.

Which included —

System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/

edit this file: ScreenCapture.strings

The old way does not work any more— you no longer have r/w access to /System files

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Apr 17, 2020 7:41 AM in response to akoijuy421

akoijuy421 wrote:

Thanks for the follow up.

I guess it's too much of a hassle for me. Oh well.

Also From my notes in 2017 I see:

Remove date & time stamp from title of screen shot, from terminal:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture include-date -bool false; killall SystemUIServer

change screen shot name, from terminal:

I have not tested this in the new Catalina environment...and your .mov might not even be effected(?)

Apr 17, 2020 7:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

How do I change the default name for screen recordings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.