Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system software icon shows update available

Previous to installing Catalina on my MacBook Pro, my system software icon showed a update available. I just assumed it was my Catalina update. Last weekend I upgraded to Catalina (10.15.4) the ystem software icon still shows an update available. I do not see any updates available, how do I get this to reset?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 8:50 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2020 12:44 PM in response to dialabrain

I could not find the specific file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist

There are however these 2 files: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.lockfile. Should I delete either of these? The com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file was updated yesterday when I was updating to the 10.15.4 update.

system software icon shows update available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.