Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.4 Software Update Glitch?

I can't seem to install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 update (currently running 10.15.1). I click "update now", then it immediately says "to update, you must restart your Mac." After I restart, I still get a notification that an update exists and it takes me through the same exact process described above. I'm plugged into power, with a strong internet connection and enough room on my hard drive for the update. How do I fix this?? Thanks!

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:16 AM

Boot into safe boot mode and run the "Install macOS Catalina.app" from your application folder

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and launch the installer from your applications folder.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 9:16 AM in response to M-A-P

Boot into safe boot mode and run the "Install macOS Catalina.app" from your application folder

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and launch the installer from your applications folder.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

10.15.4 Software Update Glitch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.