Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does Time Machine actually back up?

Will  time machine back up documents I restore from an external hard drive? I just restored an account from my previous backup drive (also time machine) and they don’t show in my new backup, only the files I created since I use this new drive. 

I had turned time machine off, wenn I restored the files. I thought it would back them up at the next backup, when they were actually on the computer.

My new software is Mojave, on the old computer it was High Sierra.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 8:29 AM

Once the first backup is completed, it will only backup new and updated information. For example let's say you edited a MS Word letter today that you originally wrote a week ago. TM will have both copies, if you go to today's date in TM you will find today's edits, if you go to the original date it was created you will find that version.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 8:29 AM in response to margalina

Once the first backup is completed, it will only backup new and updated information. For example let's say you edited a MS Word letter today that you originally wrote a week ago. TM will have both copies, if you go to today's date in TM you will find today's edits, if you go to the original date it was created you will find that version.

Apr 17, 2020 8:10 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I recently installed a new iMac and a new external backup drive. Time Machine was turned off when I restored the account from the old backup drive to my new computer.

After the restore was complete, I turned Time Machine back on again and thought it would back up everything that I had restored from the old drive. But it didn't. Maybe the reason is, dass Time Machine was turned off when I restored from the old drive?

I guess, this sound pretty confusing.

What does Time Machine actually back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.