Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I verify if Time Machine is backing up both my documents AND my applications? Is it normal for time Machine to back-up/copy everything on my mac to my external storage device?

How do I verify if Time Machine is backing up both my documents AND my applications? Is it normal for Time Machine to back-up/copy everything on my Mac, including apps and settings, to my external storage device?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 10:44 AM

2 replies

Apr 4, 2023 2:05 PM in response to scott60026

Time Machine Backup Utility, starting in macOS 11 Big Sur and above, will backup the User Account ( Home Folder ).

It does not include the Operations System nor is the Drive used Bootable.

As in macOS 11 Big Sur and above The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

The only Entity that can open and modify or alter this Volume is Apple.

That would occur when a update or UpGrade is performed.

How do I verify if Time Machine is backing up both my documents AND my applications? Is it normal for time Machine to back-up/copy everything on my mac to my external storage device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.