Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes in iOS13

Hi there. I used to use notes to draw pictures using and save them as files with transparent backgrounds. I have just updated and now the pictures save with a white background. Is there a way to fix this so they can be saved on transparent backgrounds?

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 7:49 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 17, 2020 7:02 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank for your response. To be honest, I'm not sure what I version I was running before as it was a school device (I'm a teacher). I updated only because my screen recordings weren't recording audio, even though I had the microphone on (update fixed this issue). I imagine it was a recent iOS because the teachers got the iPads last year and this was the first update I've had to do. I can't comment on if this works before as I had literally only just discovered this feature.

It was through using the MarkUp function, not inserting a sketch into Notes. So I would just draw on the note normally, save the image to my iPad and when I inserted it into another app, e.g. Google Slides, it had a transparent background. I was using it to make clipart; in fact, the screen recording I was doing was a tutorial to show other teachers how to make clipart with a transparent background to use! I still have that video saved, and have attached some pics below to show a drawing in Notes and what it looked like in Google Slides against a coloured background. I went to complete a new screen recording with audio working, and that's when I saw they now have a white background.

I'm not sure if it's just a glitch or if this is something new, but hoping it's the former and can be fixed! I don't know why they would change this great feature.

Apr 17, 2020 8:11 AM in response to KimmieT

What iPad and iOS version of the Notes app were you using previously that had this transparency feature in the default iOS Notes app?

My iPads are still running iOS 10.3.3 and the version of the iOS Notes app on my iOS version has no way of making a transparent background for images/sketches either.

The iOS 9 version of the iOS Notes apps doesn't even have a sketch function.

Was this a feature of the iOS Notes app in iOS 11 and 12 and Apple changed this behaviour back to a previous behaviour/fearure in iPadOS 13?

Are you remembering how you exactly did this?

Perhaps you exported the sketch in the iOS Notes app to another drawing or image editing app that could create a transparent background of an image after the fact?

Notes in iOS13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.