Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 iTunes accounts, and a constant need to reauthorize my access

I somehow ended up with 2 accounts on iTunes many years ago, but authorized my MacBook to access both and have maintained the passwords for the old one even though no new purchases have been made on it for years. After I recently installed the latest updates to Music, I now regularly have to reauthorize my Mac to play the music from the old account. Each time it tells me afterward that the computer has already been authorized, but each time it stops playing music until I go through the process for any songs associated with the older account. How do I resolve this? Is there a way to merge the accounts? Or move all of the songs from the old account to the active one?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 8:00 AM

Hey eennis,

I see that you're getting prompts to enter credentials for an older Apple ID in order to play songs in Music on your MacBook.

If these songs were purchased under another Apple ID, they will need to be removed and added again under the current Apple ID. There is not a way to merge two Apple ID accounts. Make sure that you're signed in with your current Apple ID by following the steps under "Sign in on your Mac" here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 8:00 AM in response to eennis

Hey eennis,

I see that you're getting prompts to enter credentials for an older Apple ID in order to play songs in Music on your MacBook.

If these songs were purchased under another Apple ID, they will need to be removed and added again under the current Apple ID. There is not a way to merge two Apple ID accounts. Make sure that you're signed in with your current Apple ID by following the steps under "Sign in on your Mac" here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

2 iTunes accounts, and a constant need to reauthorize my access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.