Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

Hi, i had a question that maybe someone can answer so i just bought an ipad to store some photos from my iphone but as i delete one from my phone it deletes from the ipad i wanna be able to take photos with my phone and just transfer them to my ipad so i can keep my phone free. Thank you for your time.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 4:00 PM

If you are using iCloud Photos to sync photos between your devices, iCloud will keep the photo libraries identical on your devices. If you import a photo on any device, it will appear on all synced devices, and if you delete a photo on one device, it will be deleted everywhere. If you want to keep the iPhone free of photos, you cannot use iCloud Photos to transfer the photos between iPhone and iPad. Turn iCloud Photos off on the Phone and use Air Drop, for example. Or get yourself a camera adapter for your iPad and transfer the photos directly using the camera adapter.

This is described here: Import photos and videos to iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 4:00 PM in response to Berto95

If you are using iCloud Photos to sync photos between your devices, iCloud will keep the photo libraries identical on your devices. If you import a photo on any device, it will appear on all synced devices, and if you delete a photo on one device, it will be deleted everywhere. If you want to keep the iPhone free of photos, you cannot use iCloud Photos to transfer the photos between iPhone and iPad. Turn iCloud Photos off on the Phone and use Air Drop, for example. Or get yourself a camera adapter for your iPad and transfer the photos directly using the camera adapter.

This is described here: Import photos and videos to iPad - Apple Support

Apr 17, 2020 3:56 PM in response to Berto95

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

To accomplish what you want, one option would be to not use iCloud Photos on both devices and use AirDrop to transfer photos. See: How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note that wouldn't be automatic like iCloud Photos is.

Other possibilities you may want to explore are 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.