Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just got a new MacBook Air and it will not connect to my Wi-Fi.

I just got a new macbook air and it will not connect to my wifi. I have tried restarting my Mac many times and restarting the wifi, but it still won’t.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 6:12 PM

nataliemann Said:

"I just got a new macbook air and it will not connect to my wifi. I have tried restarting my Mac many times and restarting the wifi, but it still won’t."

-------

• Where DOES this Connect?:

Does your Mac connect to another WiFi connection? If so, but not your own WiFi, then it is something on your side. So, restart your router/modem: unplug it for 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 6:12 PM in response to nataliemann

nataliemann Said:

"I just got a new macbook air and it will not connect to my wifi. I have tried restarting my Mac many times and restarting the wifi, but it still won’t."

-------

• Where DOES this Connect?:

Does your Mac connect to another WiFi connection? If so, but not your own WiFi, then it is something on your side. So, restart your router/modem: unplug it for 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

Apr 18, 2020 12:28 AM in response to nataliemann

nataliemann Said:

It connects to my personal hotspot on my phone. I have tried restarting the router 3 times and it still won’t connect. My mom also had this problem when she got her new Mac

———-

A Few Thoughts:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the network connection) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. 

Next...

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it all now works. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

If that does not work:

• Create a New User and See if that Works:

If it now works, then it is something installed/configured on your current user that should not be. So, transfer everything over to the new user, and then trash this user. You should be good from there.

Apr 18, 2020 12:36 AM in response to nataliemann

nataliemann Said:

It connects to my personal hotspot on my phone. I have tried restarting the router 3 times and it still won’t connect. My mom also had this problem when she got her new Mac

———-

Thank you for the update!

Do you see the name of your network (the SSID)?

If not, either you are not broadcasting your SSID, or your router is down.

If yes, then try a few things:

Try Renewing your IP Address:

Go Here: Renew your IP address from the DHCP server on Mac - Apple Support

If you see an IP address, then you are connected. But, it might just have some issues.

DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) is where your connection (your computer being the “Host”) is automatically configured and IP Address and all (hence the word “Dynamic”). DHCP is what you would likely use in a Home LAN (Local Area Network).

So, perform what is provided in that link.

just got a new MacBook Air and it will not connect to my Wi-Fi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.