Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Officejet 8600 HP printer won't work with High Sierra update

After updating to MacOS High Sierra, my iMac no longer recognizes my HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer. My printer still works with all my other Apple devices, just not the I mac.

iMac 27", OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 11:19 AM

Try a print system reset, described here: If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device - Apple Support

Try connecting to the printer in Safe Mode. That temporarily disables various add-on apps.

Any add-on anti-virus, add-in anti-malware, add-in cleaner apps, or add-on VPN clients installed? That can interrupt connectivity.

Checked with HP support?

I can’t locate the basic specs for that printer, and the user manual doesn’t list the supported network protocols, and which is never an auspicious start.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 11:19 AM in response to iMac_printer_help

Try a print system reset, described here: If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device - Apple Support

Try connecting to the printer in Safe Mode. That temporarily disables various add-on apps.

Any add-on anti-virus, add-in anti-malware, add-in cleaner apps, or add-on VPN clients installed? That can interrupt connectivity.

Checked with HP support?

I can’t locate the basic specs for that printer, and the user manual doesn’t list the supported network protocols, and which is never an auspicious start.

Apr 18, 2020 5:07 PM in response to iMac_printer_help

Load new drivers from the vendor, and remove and re-add the printer to your configuration:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8600-premium-e-all-in-one-printer-series-n911/4322916

There is a firmware update listed for macOS 10.13, (though oddly not for macOS 10.15), so check and update the printer firmware.

Apr 19, 2020 10:33 AM in response to MrHoffman

I've downloaded all the current drivers and firmware. The problem is that when my iMac attempts to search or connect wirelessly with the printer, it can not find the printer. The printer is definitely connected to the wireless network because we ca successfully print wirelessly from our MacBook, iPad, and iPhones. When I run the HP Easy Start program, it searches for available printers and can not find it. I uninstalled the printer from the printer list in System Preferences, but it won't let me add it back -- says there are no available printers. Even when I run the HP software such as the Device Utilities, the iMac says the printer is "turned off or otherwise disconnected" even though it is turned on and connected to the wireless network.

Officejet 8600 HP printer won't work with High Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.