Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD space disappeared after partition. help!

Hi,

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13' running macOS 10.14 Mojave.

I was trying to partition my Macbook to run bootcamp using Paragon Harddisk manager and I accidentally clicked cancel during the process.

This resulted in only 26.62gb of my 250gb visible in Disk Utility.

Unfortunately I do not have any system backups.

I have done a full system reinstall using Recovery mode but my hard disk is still showing 26gb capacity instead of 250gb.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 5:16 AM

In Disk Utility, choose "Show all devices" from the View popup menu.

Select the SSD Device and see if the Partition button shows the two parts.

If so, see if you can remove the second one, then merge the first container into the free space.

Note that if there was any data on that second partition you made, it is now gone forever short of paying a company a lot of money to recover it.

Here is the Guide for how Disk Utility handles partitions: Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Out of curiosity, why did you use a third-party tool instead of BootCamp? What features does it tout that makes it a better choice than Apple's tools?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 5:16 AM in response to LeslieKZC

In Disk Utility, choose "Show all devices" from the View popup menu.

Select the SSD Device and see if the Partition button shows the two parts.

If so, see if you can remove the second one, then merge the first container into the free space.

Note that if there was any data on that second partition you made, it is now gone forever short of paying a company a lot of money to recover it.

Here is the Guide for how Disk Utility handles partitions: Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Out of curiosity, why did you use a third-party tool instead of BootCamp? What features does it tout that makes it a better choice than Apple's tools?

Apr 19, 2020 5:36 AM in response to LeslieKZC

LeslieKZC wrote:

Hi,
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13' running macOS 10.14 Mojave.
I was trying to partition my Macbook to run bootcamp using Paragon Harddisk manager

The Boot Camp Assistant .app in the Applications/Utilities folder will do all the necessary partition for you if launch it to set up and install your Windows. This is you most trouble free way

Boot Camp - Official Apple Support

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant ...

You borked your attrmpt an will need to erase/reformat/initialize the parent drive (immutable drive name) from Internet Recovery>Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices.

It is here you reformat the drive not the Container, or child Volume level as GUID/APFS

How to erase a disk for Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

SSD space disappeared after partition. help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.