Empty Space on SSD partition

I created a partition on my SSD that is in my late 2017 MacBook Pro. I then deleted it and now there is a “empty space” partition. I followed the steps on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253238513?login=true

this and got to running diskutil lost internal, but the diskN number N doesn’t appear and when I run diskutil unmountDisk diskN, the operation fails. Thoughts on how to continue?

Thanks for any recommendations,

C00lT00l

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 8:17 PM

C00lT00l Said:

"Empty Space on SSD partition: [...]this and got to running diskutil lost internal, but the diskN number N doesn’t appear and when I run diskutil unmountDisk diskN, the operation fails. Thoughts on how to continue? Thanks for any recommendations,[...]"

-------

Report back if this does the trick. I am eager to know...

Format in Recovery Mode:

Backup your Mac so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with this.. Then, boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon), and perform the formatting with Disk Utility.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 8:17 PM in response to C00lT00l

C00lT00l Said:

"Empty Space on SSD partition: [...]this and got to running diskutil lost internal, but the diskN number N doesn’t appear and when I run diskutil unmountDisk diskN, the operation fails. Thoughts on how to continue? Thanks for any recommendations,[...]"

-------

Report back if this does the trick. I am eager to know...

Format in Recovery Mode:

Backup your Mac so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with this.. Then, boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon), and perform the formatting with Disk Utility.

Sep 15, 2023 8:58 AM in response to C00lT00l

C00lT00l Said:

"Empty Space on SSD partition: This seems to have done the trick! I tried doing this outside of recovery mode before and it wasn’t working. One I was in recovery mode I just ran first aid and removed the empty space from the partition menu. Thanks so much TheLittles!

———-

You are welcome.

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Empty Space on SSD partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.