Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My internet goes very slow on my new MacBook 2020

I just got my new MacBook 2020 In the beginning my Internet was going fast normal now it goes very slow I don’t have a problem with the memory or the Wi-Fi everything fine it’s something in the Mac book can you tell me what to do

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 6:34 PM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2020 9:11 PM in response to John Rose6

A Few Notes:

Give Ethernet a Go!

• Backup the Mac: Based on my prior experiences - remind him to backup his Mac - it is a must, for recovery.

• Seeing a lot of SSIDs: SSID (network names) it would make no difference on the accessibility. But bear in mind, that he should restart his router.

• Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

Being that Apple Stores are closed at the moment, and mail-in service is what his option would be for AppleCare Plus Protection. He has a one-year, out-of-the-box protection.

If he gets service from Apple:

1. They will send him a box;
  2. he'll ship it in;
  3. their engineers will look at it;
  4. they will fix what ever need be;
  5. they will ship it back; then
  6. he will use the Mac

• Coronavirus Pandemic:

Calls seem to be taking much longer than normal to get an Apple Rep to answer the call. And that makes sense, because many are at home at the moment (due to the Coronavirus Pandemic), hence they have more free time on their hands for a chance to call Apple Support.

Go Here for More on Send-in Service:

Contact Apple:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

Apr 19, 2020 7:18 PM in response to eliezer98

eliezer98 Said:

"I just got my new MacBook 2020: In the beginning my Internet was going fast normal now it goes very slow I don’t have a problem with the memory or the Wi-Fi everything fine it’s something in the Mac book can you tell me what to do"

-------

First Off, with a New Mac... Create a Time Machine Backup;

Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong in time to come. Go Here: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

-----

As for Safari...

I'm sure its no more than your ISP --- Internet traffic is way up there - many are home working out-of-the-house, and kids are at home playing games, and taking classes over the Web. So, I'd contact the ISP and see if it is typical in your location. They're trying to keep up.

Try This, in the Oder Provided:

Force Quit Anything not Responding...

1. Go To: Finder
  2. Click: Force Quit...
  3. Select: [any item ending in (Not Responding)]
  4. Click: the Force Quit button

Clear your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the microphone) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

Uninstall all Security Software:

Rid of any and all other Security Software installed on your Mac, as its Firewall Settings, Background Scans, and Parental Controls, may be getting I the way here. Use the Uninstaller to Uninstall it - download the Uninstaller from none other than the developer's site.

Scan for Malware:

Finally, start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Malwarebytes is created by longtime users of these forums, so that makes it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac.

Apr 19, 2020 8:56 PM in response to eliezer98

My son was having frequent lags and dropouts with the wifi on his MacBook Air, in the same room as the router. He learned that (being in an apartment building) it was flooded with all these other wifi signals causing interference. He is going to try getting a USB/Ethernet adapter to hard-wire it to the router.

I just asked him how he found out the problem, and it was the "Wireless Diagnostics" app, which is buried in [your]HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications .

Of course it is. Not in some place obscure, like "Applications" or "Utilities".

It's worth trying before anything else.

By the way, what provides your wifi signal? Is it your own router? Fiber? Cable? ASDL?

Is it shared with many others?

My internet goes very slow on my new MacBook 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.