Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV will no longer "toggle" to Settings Menu ?

My TV shows Apple TV Remote Menu but Remote will not select Settings ?

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 1:55 PM

The computers icon is for using home sharing (to access local media stored within iTunes or TV/Music app on a computer). There should also be an icon that says "Settings" and that is where you would go to set it up on the new network. This requires a physical remote so if you were trying to use the app then that will not work.

The other option is to restore the device. However, doing so on the device would still require going into the aforementioned settings. Otherwise, it would need to be done by connecting to a computer. This is also valid if one does not have a physical remote, as they can pair it with a BT keyboard during setup.

Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 1:55 PM in response to DBis2

The computers icon is for using home sharing (to access local media stored within iTunes or TV/Music app on a computer). There should also be an icon that says "Settings" and that is where you would go to set it up on the new network. This requires a physical remote so if you were trying to use the app then that will not work.

The other option is to restore the device. However, doing so on the device would still require going into the aforementioned settings. Otherwise, it would need to be done by connecting to a computer. This is also valid if one does not have a physical remote, as they can pair it with a BT keyboard during setup.

Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

Apr 20, 2020 12:21 PM in response to QuickPost

I have an Apple TV purchased 2011 and no problems till now.

The Apple TV has been using wifi all the time same location. We have a New Spectrum Router replacement last week.

I have Not been able to access the Apple Setup section for wifi to update it to the new router address ? I can Only access the “Computer” choice to change setup . But have Never had a computer at that location . I have followed the manual to reboot AppleTV several times but no change in performance !

So please help diagnose why the Apple TV will not switch to the wifi mode so I can insert the routers wifi address ?

Don

Apr 27, 2020 1:02 PM in response to QuickPost

My Reply below hopefully "elaborates" on my original request for tech support regarding the inability to "open" the Wifi tab in the AppleTV Settings ? I need help to resolve this issue in order to update the new router wifi address into my AppleTV module.

Please update me with any assistance you can offer soon?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2020 2:42 PM in response to DBis2

My response above had already outlined the options, but I will summarize. You would need to select the "Settings" icon on Apple TV in order to connect it with your new wifi network. This would require a physical remote, and cannot be done by using the remote app.

If that is not possible then you will need to restore via computer. However, if you do not have a physical remote you would need to either pair with a Bluetooth keyboard during setup, borrow or purchase a replacement replace.

Apr 27, 2020 3:24 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for your reply.

I believe your response is Not based on the actual situation I have outlined but rather on assumptions that do not relate ?

I have an Apple Remote that will only allow opening the AppleTV Settings but NOT select the Wifi tab in order for me to change the source address of the New Router . I have followed the AppleTV reset directions several times with no change in performance to "select" the wifi tab for changing the source address of the new router ?

With this scenario in mind, are there any suggestions ?

Thanks

I have NO computer in the system so that reference is moot .

Apr 27, 2020 3:45 PM in response to DBis2

My response was most certainly reflective of your situation and is based on the facts. You did not mention whether you were using a physical remote and specifically stated that you were not able to select the settings icon at all. Thus, I was merely clarifying that it would not be possible to navigate to the settings when using the remote app, due to the fact that the ATV is not connected to a network.

As advised if you are not able to set it up on the new network via the settings option then you will need to restore. You would be going into Settings > General > Reset, however, you would need to choose restore as that will not only wipe the settings but do a full reinstall of the firmware. Once that is done you would setup the device as new, including the option to connect it to your new network.

If you are unable to go into settings, as you indicated above, then a computer would be required in order to restore.

Be aware that your Apple TV would be a 2nd gen, as it is over 9 year old hardware that can also be a factor to any issues that occur. Ultimately, if those issues persist it would no longer be supported as it is classified as obsolete.

Apple TV will no longer "toggle" to Settings Menu ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.