Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express has no umphf anymore.

I have an old, old Airport Express and I want to know if it looses its power? The Airport Utility shows that it's on, passing the Internet and everything looks fine and in the green. However, whether I'm 25 feet or 5 feet from the unit, I can only get 1 bar. It is not blocked by anything and mounted vertically. It is used in a workshop as an extension to the WiFi network that is run off of a Airport Extreme. It is hardwired to the extreme.

For many years in the same configuration it pumped out strong WiFi about 50' in all directions. Now, it seems to be failing. Can it fail this way even if all systems appear to be a-go?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 8:50 AM

It is normal for the power supply to decline, and this will occur after 4-5 years of use. The power supply will steadily decline after that.

Not sure how old an "old, old AirPort Express" might be but if it is 7-8 years old, it is amazing that it will even operate at all.

Since you say that it was operating as extension of the WiFi, it may have already failed and you are simply picking up the signal from your "main" AirPort. If you have a Mac laptop, you can check to see which AirPort that it is picking up the signal from.

Post back if you want to go through this check.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 8:50 AM in response to VikingRC2

It is normal for the power supply to decline, and this will occur after 4-5 years of use. The power supply will steadily decline after that.

Not sure how old an "old, old AirPort Express" might be but if it is 7-8 years old, it is amazing that it will even operate at all.

Since you say that it was operating as extension of the WiFi, it may have already failed and you are simply picking up the signal from your "main" AirPort. If you have a Mac laptop, you can check to see which AirPort that it is picking up the signal from.

Post back if you want to go through this check.

Airport Express has no umphf anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.