Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (late 2012 8GB RAM 500GB) is too slow to startup

Hello everybdy!

Can any one help me guys to get a solution. I m trynig to:

- startup my mac,

- Reinstall it with recovery mode (cmd R),

- Reinstall it using internet recovery (cmd shift R)

but I cant do nothing of that because it takes a lot of time without successing.

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:41 PM

thank you guys! the problem was solved by turning on mac and hold click on (cmd + option + shift + R). then I could reach to the internet recovery mode and reinstall mac. but this step will return your mac to the original version which was in my case (OS X Mavericks 10.9).but I restarted it again clicking (cmd R) to get Catalina version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 12:41 PM in response to zaka180

thank you guys! the problem was solved by turning on mac and hold click on (cmd + option + shift + R). then I could reach to the internet recovery mode and reinstall mac. but this step will return your mac to the original version which was in my case (OS X Mavericks 10.9).but I restarted it again clicking (cmd R) to get Catalina version.

Apr 21, 2020 12:18 PM in response to zaka180

It is possible you have a failing hard drive in the Mini. Some types of hard drive failures can sometimes even keep the computer from booting properly to other media such as Internet Recovery Mode. See if you can boot the Apple Diagnostics.

If you cannot boot the Apple Diagnostics, then using another computer create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Knoppix USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". While Knoppix is booting the computer may appear to be frozen on the Apple boot picker menu so give Knoppix lots of time to boot especially if the internal drive may be bad.

If Knoppix boots to the desktop, then click on the "Start" menu in the lower left corner of the Taskbar and navigate the menu to "System Tools ---> GSmartControl". Within the GSmartControl app double-click on the Mini's hard drive to open up its health report. Post the complete report here so I can examine it. If you have more than one internal drive, then make sure to post a report for both drives.

If you have trouble creating a bootable Knoppix USB drive then let me know.

Mac mini (late 2012 8GB RAM 500GB) is too slow to startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.