Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Something strange

Hello. I just ran into some problem. As if nothing had happened, I used my iPad mini and decided to take a photo from the lock screen. Then I needed to send this photo, but suddenly the screen turned completely purple for an instant and the iPad rebooted. Also, over the past few months, I noticed that in the morning after I remove the iPad from charging, it can not be unlocked using Touch ID, since the iPad was rebooted. The fact is that I did not restart the iPad and at night it could restart on its own. I used the device carefully, the iPad was not exposed to mechanical stress and is used as a home device. What could be the problem?

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 1:31 AM

Whilst usually rare, many thing can cause an unexpected restart of a computer - regardless of platform. Without in-depth debug, unless the problem recurs, you’ll likely never know the trigger for this event. That said, I would speculate that you suffered an isolated memory management issue.

If it were my device, I would close/force-close all Apps - then complete a precautionary forced-restart of the iPad. The intention is to clear all the App processes from memory.

To force-close Apps, double-tap the Home Button to reveal the Task Switcher - then swipe each App window off the top of the screen.

To force restart the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

This will hopefully clean-up any gremlins - and resolve the problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 1:31 AM in response to Oleg_Fesenko

Whilst usually rare, many thing can cause an unexpected restart of a computer - regardless of platform. Without in-depth debug, unless the problem recurs, you’ll likely never know the trigger for this event. That said, I would speculate that you suffered an isolated memory management issue.

If it were my device, I would close/force-close all Apps - then complete a precautionary forced-restart of the iPad. The intention is to clear all the App processes from memory.

To force-close Apps, double-tap the Home Button to reveal the Task Switcher - then swipe each App window off the top of the screen.

To force restart the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

This will hopefully clean-up any gremlins - and resolve the problem.

Something strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.