Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air to tv connection

My computer is connected to my tv through HDMI. It has worked fine in the past now it only shows the background photo on the tv and does not play the video I am trying to do

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 2:33 PM

1. Can you drag the video to the TV screen when the video begins to play on your MacBook?
  2. If NOT then open System Preferences ➔ Displays and then check on Mirror your display
  3. If the above does not work then can you shut down your MacBook and reboot and after the computer boots back up then retry playing the video once again.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 2:33 PM in response to tcertisimo

1. Can you drag the video to the TV screen when the video begins to play on your MacBook?
  2. If NOT then open System Preferences ➔ Displays and then check on Mirror your display
  3. If the above does not work then can you shut down your MacBook and reboot and after the computer boots back up then retry playing the video once again.

Axel F.

Apr 21, 2020 9:36 AM in response to tcertisimo

Question - Does this mean that you are on only seeing the desktop wallpaper on your TV screen and nothing else? Is your MacBook AIr's lid closed or are you using your MacBook Air as an additional monitor? When you open an app that is supposed to open on the TV then does it open there? Does the video play on your MacBook Air's screen while connected to your TV? And, finally are you using the TV as a separate monitor or is your MacBook Air being mirrored to your TV?

Sorry for all these questions however I needed the details so that I can provide the best answer. Thanks.

Axel F.

Apr 21, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you for the reply!!!

Yes I am only seeing the desktop wallpaper on the tv screen. The Mac lid is open, I am using the tv as my monitor so I can do workouts on a big screen. I’m not sure what happened . It was working fine. It plays on the computer not on the tv. If I open up the system Preferences that pops up on the tv screen but I cannot choose anything!

MacBook Air to tv connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.