Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP 6800 and Catalina, printer works, scanner doesn't. Neither show in Image Capture

I have a new MacBook with Catalina and an HP 8600 printer/scanner. The printer works but the scanner does not. The scan function is not visible under printer/scanners in System Preferences, but the printer is. I see that using Image Capture is a work around but my printer/scanner does not show up in devices nor is there an option to add it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 8:32 AM

Greetings, Laurielok.

I see that you're having a problem using your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer with your new MacBook Pro. You're unable to scan documents, and I'm glad to help with this.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads -- If you see a bell in the upper right section on Hewlett Packards support page, there's a recommendation from HP to make sure your Mac is on macOS Catalina 10.15.3 installed.

If your Mac is already on macOS 10.15.3 or later, install the driver that's provided and see if you're able to scan a document.

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device -- If you still can’t scan a document, review the information and apply the steps provided in this article.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Laurielok

Greetings, Laurielok.

I see that you're having a problem using your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer with your new MacBook Pro. You're unable to scan documents, and I'm glad to help with this.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads -- If you see a bell in the upper right section on Hewlett Packards support page, there's a recommendation from HP to make sure your Mac is on macOS Catalina 10.15.3 installed.

If your Mac is already on macOS 10.15.3 or later, install the driver that's provided and see if you're able to scan a document.

If you can't print from your Mac or iOS device -- If you still can’t scan a document, review the information and apply the steps provided in this article.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care.

HP 6800 and Catalina, printer works, scanner doesn't. Neither show in Image Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.