Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single vs Dual GPU Mac Pro

If I get the single GPU Mac Pro model, will it only have one PCIe slot or will it have two or more? If I want more than the one PCIe slot, will I have to get the dual GPU model (or the afterburner card)?

Basically, it the motherboard for all Mac Pro models the same?

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 3:32 PM

Apple says there are eight PCI-e slots

Apple single GPU goes in an MPX bay and used up two PCI-e slots OR, the dual GPU also goes in ONE MPX bay and uses up two MPX slots. Only if you mess up or want two Dual GPU modules will you use up all your MPX bays and four of your PCI-e slots

There are still three more full size PCI-e slots, and slot 8, the 4X slot holds the I/O card with two USB-3 and two ThunderBolt-3 ports..

They picture the optional afterburner card (used for pre-processing RAW footage) in slot 5.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 3:32 PM in response to BeanDip26

Apple says there are eight PCI-e slots

Apple single GPU goes in an MPX bay and used up two PCI-e slots OR, the dual GPU also goes in ONE MPX bay and uses up two MPX slots. Only if you mess up or want two Dual GPU modules will you use up all your MPX bays and four of your PCI-e slots

There are still three more full size PCI-e slots, and slot 8, the 4X slot holds the I/O card with two USB-3 and two ThunderBolt-3 ports..

They picture the optional afterburner card (used for pre-processing RAW footage) in slot 5.

Single vs Dual GPU Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.