Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive constantly needs permission to change files

When I try to do anything on my external hard drive, Finder requires me to give permission by typing in my user's password to do something as simple as renaming a folder. It always prompts me with "Finder wants to... enter your password to allow this."

I checked under the "Get Info" tab of my external hard drive to see if it was locked, but no such option was available. Is this a Finder issue or am I just blind and can't find the setting?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:33 PM

Some are on the front page of the drive and some are in other folder inside the drive.

However, I did find out what the problem was. I had the "everyone" under Sharing and Permissions on "Read Only" instead of "Read and Write" even though the user I was on had a specific "Read and Write" privilege.

Thank you anyway.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 9:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

Some are on the front page of the drive and some are in other folder inside the drive.

However, I did find out what the problem was. I had the "everyone" under Sharing and Permissions on "Read Only" instead of "Read and Write" even though the user I was on had a specific "Read and Write" privilege.

Thank you anyway.

External hard drive constantly needs permission to change files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.