Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro serial number 1 after warranty service

Hi!

The serial number shown on my device for my AirPods Pro is "1".

This happened after I had to take my AirPods Pro to have them serviced on warranty. They completely stopped working in about a week after the 2C54 firmware update (and yes, it started with the crackling noises). After they came back from service I was informed they had replaced one or both of them, and that's when I noticed that the serial number had changed.

I suspect they might have replaced just one of them and because the serials didn't match they had to change it on both of them to work properly. Just a hunch.

What worries me is how this will affect future firmware updates. Will my AirPods be able to receive them properly or would I have to go through the whole warranty process again?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 10:26 PM

Hello,

You will need to call Apple for assistance.

Contact AppleCare

3 replies

May 19, 2020 7:45 PM in response to milea.inc

I have just had both my Airpods Pro (left and right buds) replaced under warranty, and now they show up with a "1" as the serial number in the iPhone and iPad Pro settings screen.

I found another thread in here discussing this same issue back in November 2019.

I contacted Apple support, and after spending some time talking to a person who didn't seem to know anything about Apple products, she eventually transferred me to a supervisor who said he knows about this and that it is expected behaviour showing them that one or both of the Airpods 2 or Pro have been replaced by Apple.

I advised him that I am dissatisfied with this because it reduces the resale value of the Airpods Pro, as checking the serial number in the settings is one way to check that they are genuine articles.

He advised me - as you would find people in this forum also advise you - to submit this via the apple website feedback page. I have gone ahead and done that.

In my opinion, if Apple are replacing a pair of iPads Pro under warranty, they should just replace the whole lot as a matched set; case, and left and right buds all together with a working serial number in settings.

Or, if they continue to just replace the buds individually while the owner keeps the case, as the unique serial number is on the case, that serial number should still display in the settings app. I don't like the way it works currently. I had to have the nearly new earbuds replaced through no fault of my own under warranty (they were both exhibiting a loud buzzing sound when there were loud external sounds after updating themselves to firmware 2D15), and now I have to live with a non matched set that always shows in settings incorrectly.

Ideally, the settings app should list all three serial numbers; the case one, and the ones for both the left and right earbuds, since Apple treats all three as separate entities - rather than as a set - post-purchase.

(To the standard repliers who reply to every forum post saying "Apple don't read these posts, post your comments on the feedback form", please don't do that; I already have posted my comments on the Apple feedback form.)

AirPods Pro serial number 1 after warranty service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.