Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face Id

When I try and set up the Face ID on my iPhone XS Max, the iPhone prompts me to move the phone higher, I will move the phone higher, and then it will say to lower the phone. No matter how high or low I move the phone, it will continue to prompt me this and won’t move to any other screen to finish setting up Face ID. Is there any way I can fix this?

iPhone XS

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 12:12 AM

Check that nothing is covering the TrueDepth camera

Make sure that the TrueDepth camera on your iPhone or iPad isn't covered with a case or a screen protector. Also, check if there’s residue or dirt covering the TrueDepth camera.

If you're using an iPad in landscape orientation, make sure that your finger or palm isn't covering the TrueDepth camera. If it is, you might see an alert at the top of the screen that says "Camera covered" with an arrow pointing at the TrueDepth camera.

Make sure that nothing is covering your face

Make sure that your eyes, nose, and mouth are fully visible to the TrueDepth camera.

Face ID works with many sunglasses. If you're wearing sunglasses designed to block certain types of light, then your sunglasses might be blocking the infrared light used by the TrueDepth camera. Try using Face ID without your sunglasses.

Make sure that you're facing the TrueDepth camera

Face ID works on iPhone only when it's in portrait orientation and you’re facing the TrueDepth camera. On iPad, you can use Face ID when your iPad is in any orientation.

The TrueDepth camera has a similar range of view as when you take a selfie or make a FaceTime call. Whether your iPhone or iPad is lying on a surface or you're holding it in a natural position, make sure that your iPhone or iPad is an arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2020 12:12 AM in response to anela130

Check that nothing is covering the TrueDepth camera

Make sure that the TrueDepth camera on your iPhone or iPad isn't covered with a case or a screen protector. Also, check if there’s residue or dirt covering the TrueDepth camera.

If you're using an iPad in landscape orientation, make sure that your finger or palm isn't covering the TrueDepth camera. If it is, you might see an alert at the top of the screen that says "Camera covered" with an arrow pointing at the TrueDepth camera.

Make sure that nothing is covering your face

Make sure that your eyes, nose, and mouth are fully visible to the TrueDepth camera.

Face ID works with many sunglasses. If you're wearing sunglasses designed to block certain types of light, then your sunglasses might be blocking the infrared light used by the TrueDepth camera. Try using Face ID without your sunglasses.

Make sure that you're facing the TrueDepth camera

Face ID works on iPhone only when it's in portrait orientation and you’re facing the TrueDepth camera. On iPad, you can use Face ID when your iPad is in any orientation.

The TrueDepth camera has a similar range of view as when you take a selfie or make a FaceTime call. Whether your iPhone or iPad is lying on a surface or you're holding it in a natural position, make sure that your iPhone or iPad is an arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.

Add an alternate appearance

For most users, Face ID will continuously learn as they change. If you have an appearance that can look vastly different, you can set up an alternate appearance so Face ID still recognizes you.

To set up an alternate appearance:

1. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
  2. Tap Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
  3. Look straight into your iPhone or iPad and place your face inside the frame.
  4. Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you're unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
  5. When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
  6. Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
  7. When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.

Face Id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.