Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server Kernal Panicking

We're running a Mac Mini server on 10.8.4 with Server 2.2.1.

It's been fine for years however we've recently started using it for VPN remote access. This went well until this week when it has started hard crashing and restarting. Can someone help decipher the panic logs to see what's causing the issue?

Many thanks!

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 12:33 PM

Hello,

I looked into this kernel panic and I could not find anything relating to it. My best guess is that it is a filesystem bug when using your Macintosh as a VPN server. How exactly did you create the VPN server? Are you using macOS Server?

Try running the following tests:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2020 12:33 PM in response to e3gle

Hello,

I looked into this kernel panic and I could not find anything relating to it. My best guess is that it is a filesystem bug when using your Macintosh as a VPN server. How exactly did you create the VPN server? Are you using macOS Server?

Try running the following tests:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 22, 2020 2:24 PM in response to e3gle

All 3 panics are in

com.apple.nke.l2tp

The first 2 panic with

udp_lock

where udp is the UDP network protocol

and the 3rd panics with

soclose

Also in networking code

You have a 3rd party kernel extension

com.promise.driver.stex	5.1.62

which for panics like this is the most likely suspect

Even if com.promise.driver.stex is not networking related, it is possible it is not properly managing it allocated kernel memory and stepping on memory it released but did not stop using.

A very remote possibility is if you have 3rd party RAM installed in your Mac mini. but the consistency of 3 panics happening in the networking code is really not the kind of thing that can be blamed on failing 3rd party RAM, so I'm really going to stick with the com.promise.driver.stex as being the more likely cause.

Server Kernal Panicking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.