Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daily Kernel panics since update to Big Sur, watchdog timeout com.apple.remoted

Hi there,

I'm suffering several kernel panics per day in my MacBook Pro 13" running Big Sur 11.2.3.

Crashes started when I updated to Big Sur, all of them crashes follow the same pattern: I lost my internet connection (I always work on Wi-Fi), and then the mac crashes and restarts with the following report: "userspace watchdog timeout: no successful check-ins from com.apple.remoted in 180 seconds"

I tried everything, reset PRAM and SMC, updating all my apps to the newer version, I even try to uninstall VirtualBox because as you can see in the log file this software load some kexts. After this, I installed my OS from the internet and recovered my data from TimeMachine, but the crashes persist!!!!

There are other users reporting similar crashes but I can see any which involve the 'remoted' process.

What can I do? I work with this computer and going to an Apple Service means to lost two or more days.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:21 AM

After uninstalled all my VPN clients (Tunnelblick, Pulse Secure, Cisco Anyconnect, Zero-Tier, and WireGuard) I can confirm some of them were inducing the Kernel Panic. If I can handle to trace which kernel extension or software were provoking this I will update this thread. For now, I'm using CLI versions of OpenVPN and openconnect, so far no problem.

Thank you for your help!

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Old Toad

After uninstalled all my VPN clients (Tunnelblick, Pulse Secure, Cisco Anyconnect, Zero-Tier, and WireGuard) I can confirm some of them were inducing the Kernel Panic. If I can handle to trace which kernel extension or software were provoking this I will update this thread. For now, I'm using CLI versions of OpenVPN and openconnect, so far no problem.

Thank you for your help!

Mar 25, 2021 12:26 PM in response to rovegrod

First there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.

Also unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless. Public VPN's are anything but private.   

That being said let me start with Monit. The app store indicates that it is not Big Sur compatible. So uninstall it and see if it fixes the problem.

Also uninstall the Cisco, WireGuard and Pulse Security software according to the developer's instructions.

If any of these software are required to be installed then make sure you have the latest version and reinstall. If you can live without them you'd be better off.

Mar 25, 2021 11:43 AM in response to rovegrod

Karabiner is not one of the questionable apps.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Mar 25, 2021 11:38 AM in response to Old Toad

Since I reinstalled macos from the internet I have not run any optimizing program. I used to run Onyx before a main OS upgrade (e.g. from Mojave to Big Sur) do you think recovering my data from a 'corrupted' TM recovery could be causing these crashes?. Also, I use Karabiner because I need to remap some keys from my mechanical keyboard but I can't figure out how this software could influence.

Mar 25, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for your tips! Unfortunately, I need all of these VPN clients because of my work (I need to connect to the infra of different clients with different VPN setups), but as soon as I can I'll try to trace the problem in that way. !

I've just uninstalled Monit, I'll give you feedback if it resolves the problem but I'm not very hopeful. Thanks again!!

Mar 29, 2021 6:26 AM in response to rovegrod

None of those were loaded in the posted panic log. You may have been having panics caused by multiple things.

Cisco has been known to cause panics. Essentially, nobody but Apple knows how to write kernel extensions, so they will almost always cause panics at some point. There are a few developers who have worked it out, but installing a kernel extension means you will have panics.

Daily Kernel panics since update to Big Sur, watchdog timeout com.apple.remoted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.