Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I keep my German keyboard layout and use English auto correct?

Hi,

Can I keep my German keyboard layout and use English auto correct? I have an iPad with a German Smart Keyboard, so I need to set the auto correct language independent of the keyboard language in iPadOS.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 11:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 5:49 AM

photo6x6 wrote:

I need to set the auto correct language independent of the keyboard language in iPadOS.

Is that possible?

Yes. You can set the layout of your hardware keyboard independently of the language of that keyboard. Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for English and make sure you choose German (and NOT "automatic" or "US"). Then when you switch to English (which should give you English autocorrect), you will have a qwertz layout on your Smart Keyboard.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 5:49 AM in response to photo6x6

photo6x6 wrote:

I need to set the auto correct language independent of the keyboard language in iPadOS.

Is that possible?

Yes. You can set the layout of your hardware keyboard independently of the language of that keyboard. Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for English and make sure you choose German (and NOT "automatic" or "US"). Then when you switch to English (which should give you English autocorrect), you will have a qwertz layout on your Smart Keyboard.

Can I keep my German keyboard layout and use English auto correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.