Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant open Steam

I just downloaded steam to my mac but steam won't open and I approved it and hit "open". I've reinstalled steam a few times and looked at my settings. All my other programs are still open. Steam is the only program that will not open. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 12:08 PM

Hi Asgerl,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to open Steam on your MacBook Pro.

Having the ability to open and use your favorite apps is extremely important to fully enjoy your Mac. I'll be happy to help.

Just to be sure, did you download the 64-bit app of Steam to your Mac? The reason I ask is that macOS Catalina no longer supports 32-bit apps. Here's two articles with additional information: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later and Steam and macOS 10.15 Catalina

Now if you do have the 64 bit app of Steam, I suggest following the steps outlined on Steam's website to repair the disk permissions: Repairing Disk Permissions on Mac This can help resolve the ability to open and use the app.

Kind regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Asgerl

Hi Asgerl,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to open Steam on your MacBook Pro.

Having the ability to open and use your favorite apps is extremely important to fully enjoy your Mac. I'll be happy to help.

Just to be sure, did you download the 64-bit app of Steam to your Mac? The reason I ask is that macOS Catalina no longer supports 32-bit apps. Here's two articles with additional information: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later and Steam and macOS 10.15 Catalina

Now if you do have the 64 bit app of Steam, I suggest following the steps outlined on Steam's website to repair the disk permissions: Repairing Disk Permissions on Mac This can help resolve the ability to open and use the app.

Kind regards.

Cant open Steam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.