Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded steam onto my macbook and it won't open at all.

Hi! I've been struggling with this for a while but every time I download steam onto my macbook to try and play a game, I'll try to open it and nothing happens. It doesn't crash or anything, it simply doesn't open. If I click on it, it'll bounce once as if it's about to open and then nothing happens. I've tried to figure out why it won't open. My computer is completely up to date. I've tried contacting steam, I've done many google searches, I've even asked some of my more tech savvy friends to help and they can't figure it out either. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this to work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:53 AM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2022 7:30 PM in response to grey146

Are you running any anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software which may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS? If you have any of these types of apps installed, then you should uninstall them by following the developer's instructions. You do not need any of these types of apps on a Mac plus they usually cause more problems than they solve and they impact system performance.

How long has it been since your laptop was restarted? Rebooting a computer can sometimes be an easy fix.

Do you have an Intel Mac or an M1 Mac?

Mar 20, 2022 8:04 PM in response to grey146

grey146 wrote:

I have no clue what kind of mac I have

You can get this information (and the exact model of the Mac) by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

I once had a similar issue with an Intel Mac where Gatekeeper would not process the request to allow a third party app to run. I even tried using the command line to get more information, but there was information about any errors. I even attempted to delete the Gatekeeper preference files with no change. I ended up performing a clean install of macOS to resolve the issue. A clean install destroys all data on the drive. You could try reinstalling macOS over top of itself which should preserve your data and apps, however, I highly recommend you have a good backup beforehand just to be safe.

I haven't used Steam on macOS in a really long time, so I will be unable to help you further, but maybe another more knowledgeable contributor will have some ideas.

I downloaded steam onto my macbook and it won't open at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.