Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th gen, choppy airplay playback

Hi,

I have an Apple TV 4th Gen, and the airplay AND screen mirror is choppy/stuttering. It gets worse the longer you watch a video.

For example I’ve taken a 2 minute video from my iPhone XR and airplay it on the tv. After a minute the playback will seem to be stuttering. If I screen mirror it instead, the playback on the iPhone is fine but the TV playback is stuttering, especially audio. (The same issue if I try and play it on iPad instead)

I’ve tried searching multiple threads but have no answer. Please help!

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 2:17 PM

I’ve figured it out. My router has two SSID one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. The ATV was on the 2.4 and phone/iPad on the 5ghz. When switch so both we’re on the 5ghz it works perfectly now.

I'm guessing as it’s technically the same network it allowed me to use airplay but because different frequencies there was a lag in playback.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I’ve figured it out. My router has two SSID one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. The ATV was on the 2.4 and phone/iPad on the 5ghz. When switch so both we’re on the 5ghz it works perfectly now.

I'm guessing as it’s technically the same network it allowed me to use airplay but because different frequencies there was a lag in playback.

Apr 24, 2020 6:25 AM in response to samwarb

AirPlay will have the video converted on the fly to 1080p 30 fps. This may be very processor intensive computing, especially when recording at max settings (4K 60 fps, I think), and doing playback on the device at the same time. I think the iPhone XR should be capable of that, though. Additionally, your network will be busy with two high bitrate devices simultaneously. Possibly that hits some Wi-Fi limits there.

Apple TV 4th gen, choppy airplay playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.