Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect a 30" cinema display (dual-link) to a 2009 Imac 27"

Wow! I didn't see this as such a problem when I picked up the cinema display yesterday. Lots of cables and varied connectors. Here's where I'm at: the 30" display has a special dual-link set of cables unique to the 30" display. The 27" imac has a Mini display port out. Apple makes a connector for "mini display port to dual-link DVI" adapter, but I don't feel certain if that's the one I need. Help, please!!

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 6:37 AM

OK!! Problem solved, and I'm thrilled with the results! Thanks very much for the guidance and great advice to be found here. As it turned out, the cutout for the mini display port through the back of the case on the Imac wasn't aligned properly; blocking the entry of the cable end. Once i gently guided it back into position, the cable eventually slid into place. with some patience. And, thanks for the schooling on the firewire port. You were right about that, too. So, I had already purchased the power supply and the whole thing came together wonderfully.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever own the 30" Cinema Display! And now it works! Sitting next to a 27" Imac, the setup provides some impressive screen real estate. Movie making with never be the same! Thanks again.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

OK!! Problem solved, and I'm thrilled with the results! Thanks very much for the guidance and great advice to be found here. As it turned out, the cutout for the mini display port through the back of the case on the Imac wasn't aligned properly; blocking the entry of the cable end. Once i gently guided it back into position, the cable eventually slid into place. with some patience. And, thanks for the schooling on the firewire port. You were right about that, too. So, I had already purchased the power supply and the whole thing came together wonderfully.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever own the 30" Cinema Display! And now it works! Sitting next to a 27" Imac, the setup provides some impressive screen real estate. Movie making with never be the same! Thanks again.

Apr 28, 2020 8:56 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello,

Well...here we are a week later, and no joy. I bought the Apple MB571 mini displayport to dual-link adapter. It's not a match. Looks like I need a firewire 400 to firewire 800 adapter for that port to work. Next, the mini display port won't go into the back of the Imac. Yikes. Are there different sizes of mini display ports? or maybe mine in bent? They look the same. Both have the little "tv" icon. Appreciate your patience!

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Artteacher2682

Hmmm...

Video (Monitor): 1* (Mini DisplayPort w/ Audio)Floppy (Ext.): None

Details:Supports external display in dual display and mirroring modes. Mini DisplayPort also supports DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI with optional adapters. The 27-Inch models also accept "input from external DisplayPort sources" with an adapter, so it is possible to use these models as an external display for a DisplayPort-equipped Mac or Blu-ray player, for example.

*Note that unlike earlier iMac models, the Mini DisplayPort on this system passes audio signals as well as video.

Does yours look like this...

Apr 28, 2020 6:41 PM in response to Artteacher2682

If it's a real Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter it will have a Mini DisplayPort plug and a USB-A plug to go into the computer. Make sure the Mini DisplayPort plug is pushed in all the way (no metal showing). The display's DVI and USB cables plug into the adapter. You don't need to connect he display's FireWire cable. It is just to get signals to the FireWire ports on the back of the display.

Make sure you have the power supply for the display. Many used displays don't come with the power brick.

Connect a 30" cinema display (dual-link) to a 2009 Imac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.