Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect old 30" cinema display to 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13.

Just bought a 2015 MacBook pro retina 13 with (2) USB 3.0, (2) Thunderbolt 2, and (1) HDMI connectivity. The older 30" cinema display has a built-in 4-part cable: one to transformer power, a Dual Link DVI-D, a 6 pin Firewire, and a USB (don't know the version). There are also (2) FireWire and (2) usb ports on the back of the display which I never used. I have a Mini displayport to Dual-Link DVI Adapter that I used with my two previous Macbooks because they had mini display ports, which my new MacBook does not have. I don't know where to start: adapt somehow using the Mini displayport to Dual-Link DVI Adapter that I have, or eliminate it and adapt from the built-in 4-part cable straight out of the display. I tried to figure this out via existing discussions but can't get a grip on it. I am the type of prospect that Apple had in mind when they penned the slogan "it just works"

MacBook

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 11:09 AM

Use your Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. It plugs into Thunderbolt and USB ports on the computer. The display's DVI and USB plug into the adapter. The display's FireWire plug is not used.

2 replies

How to connect old 30" cinema display to 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.