Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power iMac and Mac Mini Remotely

My iMac and my Mac Mini are in my study and, for green reasons, I prefer to keep them powered off not sleeping.

I see many questions on here about getting the Apple devices to use Wake on LAN to wake from Powered OFF state. However, all the answers state that it is only possible to use WoL to wake from Sleep state.

With all my Windows and Linux machines, I can use Wake on LAN to wake them from the Powered OFF state. Not only that but it is EASY to set up.

I have even tried connecting the Apple devices to smart switches and enabling their capability to "Start up automatically after a power failure". If you shut down the device properly, this does not work! I don't want to just remove the power from a device (by turning off the smart switch) and risk loss of data or hardware damage by uncontrolled loss of power.

A very disgruntled

Joe.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 3:14 AM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2020 1:06 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Please do not presume to lecture me on my knowledge and understanding.

I have over thirty years experience as a successful IT professional and manager.

I have successfully configured WoL in Data Centres and Desktop environments so I do understand WoL and how it is meant to be implemented - I simply do not understand the way that Apple has implemented it.

Power iMac and Mac Mini Remotely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.