Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Time Video recording sudden stops

The video recording I am trying to make keeps stopping all on its own. I have disabled power nap in both battery and power mode and ensured power is connected. But after a few minutes it just stops recording.

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 7:03 AM

Hello, AdrianGalilee.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand QuickTime stops recording after a few minutes. I'd like to help. What source are you trying to record from? How to use QuickTime Player

"Record

QuickTime Player can record a movie from your camera, or record the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. It can also record audio from a microphone or record the screen of your Mac. 

Record a movie

Movie recording works with your built-in camera and many external cameras. If you're using OS X Yosemite or later, you can also record the screen of any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) with a Lightning port and iOS 8 or later. 

1. Choose File > New Movie Recording.
  2. To change the recording settings, click the arrow next to the Record button. Then choose your camera or iOS device, microphone, and recording quality.

3. To monitor audio while it's being recorded, use the volume slider. 
  4. Click the Record button  to start recording. Click it again to stop recording".

Some other things to try:

Make sure you have enough storage space: How to free up storage space on your Mac

Try seeing if this will happen in a test user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 7:03 AM in response to AdrianGalilee

Hello, AdrianGalilee.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand QuickTime stops recording after a few minutes. I'd like to help. What source are you trying to record from? How to use QuickTime Player

"Record

QuickTime Player can record a movie from your camera, or record the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. It can also record audio from a microphone or record the screen of your Mac. 

Record a movie

Movie recording works with your built-in camera and many external cameras. If you're using OS X Yosemite or later, you can also record the screen of any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) with a Lightning port and iOS 8 or later. 

1. Choose File > New Movie Recording.
  2. To change the recording settings, click the arrow next to the Record button. Then choose your camera or iOS device, microphone, and recording quality.

3. To monitor audio while it's being recorded, use the volume slider. 
  4. Click the Record button  to start recording. Click it again to stop recording".

Some other things to try:

Make sure you have enough storage space: How to free up storage space on your Mac

Try seeing if this will happen in a test user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

May 15, 2020 4:27 PM in response to chris_g1

I have the same issue.

The interesting fact is that the video recording works ok with internal built-in camera on Macbook Air (the camera is awful but it records ok) - but I get "recording stopped" message after a few seconds trying to use external USB camera Logitech C920 HD Pro. Tried with various cables (the camera has USB A connector while Macbook Air has only USB-C plug).

I also disabled all energy saving features in power connected mode.

The same happens on different user account. There is plenty of room on SSD.

Could that mean something is wrong with USB-C performance?

Quick Time Video recording sudden stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.