Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 macbook pro 13in CPU getting very hot

What are normal operating temperatures for the intel i5 in the 2015 macbook pro? Mine seems to get quite hot, with some websites bringing the temps in each core to 70 degrees C or more. The fan idles at 0, and if it turns on, which it does, it is usually running at around 1300rpm. Are these temps normal? I read online that the normal temp for an i5 is 50-62 deg celsius, and even idle, mine is sometimes higher than this. I opened my mac up and cleaned it all inside, so thats not the issue, I reset the SMC, the software, and did a PRAM reset.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:36 AM

It is normal as some webpages run an incredible amount of code when you view them. You cannot compare system temperatures with non-Apple systems (or even older non-Retina systems) since the Retina laptops are very thin and difficult to cool. The Retina laptops tend to run hotter than other models.

When the fan runs at max speed and the temps reach 100C, then the CPU will become throttled in order to keep everything cool.

You can always run the Apple Diagnostics to make sure the cooling system is working properly.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 10:36 AM in response to mhdollman

It is normal as some webpages run an incredible amount of code when you view them. You cannot compare system temperatures with non-Apple systems (or even older non-Retina systems) since the Retina laptops are very thin and difficult to cool. The Retina laptops tend to run hotter than other models.

When the fan runs at max speed and the temps reach 100C, then the CPU will become throttled in order to keep everything cool.

You can always run the Apple Diagnostics to make sure the cooling system is working properly.

2015 macbook pro 13in CPU getting very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.