Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air microphone stuff

hello! just a question, but I recently got a microphone for recording, but when I plug it into the headphone jack, it doesn't work. do I need to buy an adapter?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 9:08 AM

Hello _noor_, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message I understand that you're unable to use the external microphone on your MacBook Air. 

First, check the sound input settings on your Mac with these steps: Change the sound input settings on Mac

If the audio is not recording from an app, here's how you can check the Security & Privacy settings: Control access to your microphone on Mac.

If the issue persists, check to see if the mic is being recognized by your MacBook Air. You can do this by going to System Information > Hardware > Audio. This article will showy how to access System Information and what the System Information window will look like: About System Information on your Mac.

All the best.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 9:08 AM in response to _noor_

Hello _noor_, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message I understand that you're unable to use the external microphone on your MacBook Air. 

First, check the sound input settings on your Mac with these steps: Change the sound input settings on Mac

If the audio is not recording from an app, here's how you can check the Security & Privacy settings: Control access to your microphone on Mac.

If the issue persists, check to see if the mic is being recognized by your MacBook Air. You can do this by going to System Information > Hardware > Audio. This article will showy how to access System Information and what the System Information window will look like: About System Information on your Mac.

All the best.

MacBook Air microphone stuff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.